Fog Lights for ML320

I have purchased a 2001 ML320 and would like to add front fog-lights. I am having difficulty finding a kit. I am not sure if front fog-lights are added into the bumper or a bracket attached to the bumper.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dale

Reply to
MBlaster

There are three options for foglights on your ML. You can use the integrated fog lights, you can add an OEM or aftermarket bull bar and mount OEM or aftermarket foglights on it, or you can install aftermarket foglights for which you will have to create your own brackets.

Using the integrated foglights on a 2001 is usually just a matter of installing H3 bulbs ($4 at Wal Mart). They illuminate the inboard triangular area of the headlamp assembly. Unless you are very dexterous and are good at working by touch alone or with a mirror, you might find it easier to remove the headlamp assemblies to install the bulbs. If you do this, be careful with the plastic trim strip below the assembly. Either way, make sure that the power leads for the bulbs have no bare wire exposed. Mine were shipped from the factory trapped under the metal bulb clips which had worn off some of the insulation. Once you install the bulbs, you should be able to illuminate them by starting the engine, turning on the low-beams, and then pressing the top half of the foglight switch, located to the left of the radio. If they don't illuminate, check the fuse. If that's OK, then you may have to get the AAM coded to activate them, which you may not be able to do if your state has limits on the height of foglights. However, my understanding is that beginning in 2000, they shipped the AAM's pre-activated. There is also a dash indicator lamp that probably won't be activated, and you may not want it anyhow because it's very bright (same as the high-beam indicator).

If you want to use bull bar mounted lights, then you have a wide selection to choose from. Several companies make bull bars for the ML and most have mounts (or can be modified) for foglights. There is a pigtail wire under the hood that you can use to control and power the foglights using the same dash switch that control the integrated lamps. This is usually found under the hood to the right of the radiator and is labeled as being for foglights. This is still controlled by the AAM, so if yours is not activated, you would still need a visit to the dealer. Since you would be using external "legal" foglights, you likely won't have any problems getting it activated, although you might have to pay for the "labor".

As for other foglight mounts, I have seen them mounted in the air duct opening in the lower part of the bumper. This generally involves fabricating a bracket that is bolted to the metal part of the inner bumper assembly. Again, these can still be connected to the power pigtail and controlled by the dash switch.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill