ml320 clunk

2000 ml320 has a clunking sound when going over uneven pavement such as a driveway. the car has 33000 miles and is still under warrenty. my dealer spent 2 days trying to find the problem with very little success. thank you in advance for any ideas
Reply to
Wapold14

Then tell them to start replacing struts first... then ball joints... etc. Demand they fix it or you will call MBUSA on them.

Reply to
Tiger

LOL. I wish it were that simple! My ML had a horrible creaking noise that sounded just like bad ball joints. After almost a dozen visits to the dealer and even several calls to MBUSA, it still went uncorrected (MBUSA told me to work through my dealer). I finally found out myself what it was. The noise is in the front hood supports. When they get damp, they rub the underside of the hood when there's a lost of body roll going on. Even knowing this, they have been unable to resolve the issue. In fact, they made it worse by lubricating the supports. It's in the shop again this week.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Under warranty... I don't understand why dealer are reluctant to fix things... they get paid by MB for these works... It's stupid I know but I still don't understand.

Reply to
Tiger

My dealer goes overboard (which is OK by me)

I bring my ML 320 in for something simple (bad window switch, sticky gas pedal, etc...) and when I pick up the car 8 hours later, they have a list of

5 to 8 things they found defective and have repaired. They even wash and vacuum the car.

I have learned that it pays to call ahead, get an appointment and a loaner car so they have all day to look at your vehicle. In fact, last time I dropped it off (rear windshield washer stopped working), they must have done over $1000 worth of warranty work. This included replacing the insulation inside the doors! In fact, they loaned me a C240 and they kept my car for 3 days.

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

Now... that's a great dealer.... and a smart one.

Reply to
Tiger

Agreed! Name names!!

300 Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

Sorry - I am reluctant to name names in a public forum lest the company be charged with padding warranty work for prematurely replacing items that still have some use.

That could change things considerably and I like things the way they are.

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

It sounds like you have the classic "Torsion Bar creak".

Ask you dealer or Service Advisor (SA) to check the Nylon Bushings where the torsion bars meet the frame. They are probably completely worn and / or need white silicone grease.

Good luck!

CFB

2000 ml320 has a clunking sound when going over uneven pavement such as a driveway. the car has 33000 miles and is still under warrenty. my dealer spent 2 days trying to find the problem with very little success. thank you in advance for any ideas

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

John Ryal

Also, have them check the hood alignment, specifically the front supports and the latch. I had a horrible creaking noise that entailed replacement of almost the entire front suspension (under warranty, of course). It turned out to be a loose hood latch. Remember that the ML is a body-on-frame design, so the body does not necessarily flex with chassis movement. The hood is attached to the body, but the latch and front supports are attached to the frame.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill