Fuel Pum Relays

An observation you may like to comment on. Fuel pump relays have a nasty habit of malfunctioning and a replacement from MB is about $90 (Australian). My investigation has found that identical relays in size, configuration and electrical characteristics are available from auto and electronic stores, listed as " high current relays for automotive applications". The cost $6.00(Australian) !!.
Joe

Not really. The fuel pump relay that we talk about here is not a generic relay. It contains a half pound of electronics and is actually a complicatyed input/output device that INCLUDES a relay.
Hi Bill, I really am confused. The spare relay I purchased from MB Part No.A0025421319 is a TYCO A0002 542 13 19 with standard pin configuration 75 ohm coil resistance and from what I can gather from the TYCO website is an ordinary standard automotive relay. I would also assume its only function is to turn on the fuel pump when the ignition switch is activated and voltage is applied to activate it when needed.
Joe

The failure-prone and unique proprietary fuel pump relays that are much discussed here are for cars from mid-eighties on. Older cars may have a simple relay.
Not true Bill... like the 93 E320... the fuel pump relay is simply a relay... with a fuse on it... They are different from that cigarette box we are accustomed to... which they redelegated it to another device.

I didn't know the "white box" parts he describes had fuses on them.
The relay I purchased from MB Parts Division, as a back-up. was for A Year 2000 C200 Sedan. It is just a standard 1 inch square black box, no external fuse, with standard four blade contacts, contact numbering 30, 86,87 and 85. Maybe I have been supplied with the wrong part if Bill's comments are correct. Joe

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /