12v relays

im looking for heavy duty 12v relays. the ones at my local autoparts store are dinky and they only have solder connections. id like to find one with either screw terminals or spades for slide-on crimp fittings. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

looks pretty hefty!

Paul B.

01 XJ 95 XJ
Reply to
PLB49

Go to a wrecking yard and pull the 'cube' square relays out of the fuse/relay panel of any German car. Most of them will be Bosch 4 and 5 terminal relays of 20-30 amps, with their schematics embossed on the housings.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Nathan Collier did pass the time by typing:

Try here.

They literally have all sorts of shit.

Last time I needed HD relays, I got them from NAPA. Can't remember the part number but it replaced the ABS relay and just about any other.

's the shiny one. :) Think it cost about 5-6$

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL--they say the thumb is about the size of the . . . . . .

Paul B.

Reply to
PLB49

What is the purpose of using relays for fog lights. A relay came with my KC's but I did not use it. I went straight from the battery to the lights, breaking the hot side with a toggle switch.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Mad Medic

--... ...--

Reply to
Kevin

thanks to everyone for the help!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

The toggle switch will wear out from the full power arc every time it turns on and off. The cheaper the switch, the faster it will wear out.

Using a relay means only really low amps pass through the switch greatly extending its life.

You also can just run one or two small wires to the switch with a relay. I prefer to just run one wire to my switch and use the switch as a ground signal for the relay trigger.

Here is a good site on how to wire them:

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Most of those relays are just 'no-name' Bosch ones or I guess that is a 'Bosch style' relay.

If they have the same layout, they work the same.

I like the ground trigger for switching. That way I don't have power lines running anywhere that could short, just a single tiny 18 or even

22 ga wire running through the firewall.

I run two Hella Black Magic lights each with their own relay with one push button micro-mini switch on the dash with a button about 1/8" in size. They are super bright.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the link. In my 99 wrangler i have a MRE front roll bar which is connected to the rear roll bar which has two overhead bars comming from the front roll bar to the rear bar between the front seats. I have a steel panel attached to these bars which has 15 toggle switches and one push switch with a seperate pilot light for each switch. This panel controls all electrical functions,accessories: ignition, starter, headlights,tail lights, inst panel lights, driving lights, wipers, 2 meter ham radio, wig-wam lights, and switched 12 volt power circuts.

I use GB toggles rated @ 20 amps. I have had two toggle failures over a period of about 2 years. I wish I had seen that link before I wired this panel. On the next jeep I will use this method on some of the hook ups. Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

You are welcome.

If you have some high draw switches, you can add a relay right behind the switch and just use the switch to turn on the relay pretty easily. This will save the switches. It only takes a couple wires and if you used spade connectors, they fit right on the relay for the main power pins.

Mike

Mike Romain

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:34:53 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Nathan Collier" :

Check Newark Electronics

When Ineeded a new starter relay for the bike I got one rated for60A for less than five bucks (as compared to the $40 or soYamaha wanted). Standard spade terminals.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Good Idea.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

I got some really good bosch ones from a local stereo shop. they use them to make relays for windows and etc. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego