How are the Diesel models?

Page 1 of 2
I have had a 1970 and 1988 sedans both with a gas engine.. I'm thinking of trying a diesel engine now, since gas is so high. How did the mercedes cars fare with a diesel?? any pros/cons to consider? I would be
looking at late models, not brand new ones. Thanks for any advice...
Y.D., Warren, Michigan
Even though my experience with MB diesels is limited - '76 300D - the best answer that you can find is to go back through this group's discussions many months and see what other folks have had to say. The 5 cylinder diesel engines are a legend unto themselves.
The really big question is: Do you like diesels? If you understand and like the fact that they are a really different animal than the gas engines that you have become accustomed to. Find a diesel car (or small truck) and test drive it. Once you test drive, the differences become obvious.
Good luck with your quest!!

have to go and test a modern diesel, not any truck. You might conclude that it drives better than a gasser at the same price category.
Mercedes was and is a leader in diesel engines.
Whether you like the fuel is another matter. Even in traditionally 'anti-diesel' Britain sales of diesel cars are still rising. In some European countries they are the majority.
Factors such as relative fuel prices, car and road taxation and fashion all play a role.
DAS
"Anonymous" < snipped-for-privacy@mycomputer.net> wrote in message
news:R14mi.191552$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.news.saunalahti.fi...
and, don't forget...with a diesel, you can pull into your local mcdonalds' and fill up on vegetable fat...then away you go, leaving the fabled scent of french fries....:-)
seriously, many diesel owners are switching to a vegfat fuel... I'm no expert, but a google should reveal loads of info
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS224US224&q=diesel%2bvegetable+oil
sherm 05 c240 awd

Actually, it is much more complicated than that. Mcdonalds will not give away their fryer grease. Large chains have contracts with grease renderers. You need to find the little guys like barbecue places or chinese restaurants with owners that are receptive to your desire to take their grease. simply taking it out of a grease dumpster is theft since the greases renderer owns that dumpster, and they want that grease since they can process it and sell it to pet food companies or other places.
Once you get the grease you need to dewater it(harder than it seems) and filter it down to 5 microns. It is a labor intensive process that is far more complicated than driving up to Mcdonalds and filling up. If it were really that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Plus vegetable oil is a better solvent than #2 diesel. A buddy of mine in Atlanta has a neighbor that gives him filtered waste oil. He began using it and went through - literally - 20 fuel filters in 100 miles as they clogged up with crap the oil cleaned out of the (admittedly 25 year old) fuel system.
I have an 84 300D, and it runs well. I have over 190K miles(the odometer goes out in these more often than not... literally... seriously.) It still has good compression. As stated earlier, the performance gets better if the car is newer. Through the years they steadily got more and more powerful. The old 240Ds from the 70's were horribly underpowered. I think they are dangerous to drive they are so slow. But you will find people that love them since they were available with a manual. The 300D had one more cylinder, and from 81-85 had a turbo. That turbo makes a difference. It makes a slow car less slow, but still not fast. An owner of one of the mercedes that I test drove summed it up nicely when he said,"The turbo makes it acceptable. You will hear the turbo kick in... you won't feel it though." It's about as fast as a mid nineties japanese econobox. I'd guess 0-60 around 11 seconds or so on a good day. The late eighties diesels had aluminum heads, which had problems. Through the nineties it was hit and miss. I think Tiger covered the good and bad years there. The newest CDI models are great. My friends father just got one a few months back. They are very refined. Quiet, powerful, quick, and very very clean burning. You really wouldn't know it was a diesel unless you were looking for it.
Good luck in your quest.

Having a corvette and a 560SEL along with the 240D has taught me how to drive it properly. I don't consider it dangerous or unsafe. and I don't think MB did either. Look at the production numbers. One must have the ability to adapt to a different driving style. I actually enjoy the hell out the 240D and drive it the most. I've seen the prices rising upwards for the older MB diesels around these parts.

http://www.odometergears.com will sell you a new gear.

Beg to differ on that one. I can sure feel mine kick in.
And how many 20 year old Japanese cars will do 115 mph or cruise at 100 all day?

Richard,
I believe you. However, in the three that I have driven I have never felt it. I'm assuming that yours is tuned properly, or even for a little more performance, whereas all three that I have driven were tired. I need to do some more research on the ALDA and adjust my timing, valve lash, and run lubro-moly through. Anything else I need to do?
Bill

I screwed down the wastegate shut to get the factory spec boost and regularly clean the banjo connection.
I woodn't call it muscle car performance but you can definitly feel wen it kicks in.
Just your opinion. Only 'dangerous' if YOU drive dangerously. In the early eighties I had a W123 200D with only 72 PS. Perfectly fine, since it cost me relatively little to run (taxed as company car).
Mind you, I drove mostly around flat northern Germany. Colleagues from mountainous Bavaria were less pleased with the car's power, but I don't recall anyone complaining about danger.
DAS
news: snipped-for-privacy@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
LOL... I remembered I quipped Juergen about the HP figure... He talked about how he went from like 72PS to like 110PS and I was like whoa... what a whopping 50% increase in power... must be fast...
He quipped back like you are just jealous that you don't have a diesel... LOL.

I just bought (3 months ago) an 84 300D (5 cyl. turbo-diesel), with 260,000 miles on it. It runs strong still. I just changed the oil on it at 262,500 (since I didn't know when it was last changed), and I was fairly pleased with the experience. It was actually slightly cheaper to change the 2 gallons of oil in this car than it was for an oil change in my 2000 Jetta, and actually much less messy than the Jetta (until I dropped the drain plug in the old oil).
My engine is rated at 170 hp and 170 ft-lbs of torque. It doesn't feel like it when you start off, but it will set you back in the seat when it shifts under hard acceleration. The turbo definitely helps with that I'm sure. The biggest issue for me in switching to a diesel is being more picky where I fuel up. Not that I am picky, its just there aren't as many choices. Thankfully, I go by two truck stops on my way to work each day, so no problem there, but otherwise I have to be on the lookout for a diesel pump.
My recommendation is go for the diesel. (You'll save a boat load on spark plugs too!)

I think the engine is actually rated around 120 hp by MB. Is yours modified?

I live in Maryland, where there is all sorts of terrain. My house is at 355 feet elevation, but a river one mile from my house is at 220 feet. There are 14% and 18% grade hills on my daily drive. Also, since I live near two large cities there are some very busy stretches of road where I need to be able to merge either while going uphill, or where there is practically no merge lane. The 300D does fine with this even though it is not fast. However, I've been told that the 240D had 63 horses. When I think about the fact that that is about half of what my car has, and my car doesn't weigh even nearly twice as much, I can't imagine driving that car without winding up being that idiot that has to stop in the merge lane simply because I can't get up to speed in time. And once I had stopped, that would just make things worse. If I lived in a flatter less aggressively driven locale, I could probably live with the 240D's acceleration. For me though, I'd consider it a liability. I may just have a higher threshold for what I consider dangerous. I've heard the same argument from a guy I know that has owned an 87 300D with the 6 cylinder, a 240D, and an early eighties 300D. He called them fast, dangerously underpowered, and delightful respectfully. Although I will admit that my impression of them may be biased by my exposure to this fellow.
You've forgotten one thing re 240D and 300D... although the latter has more horses, it's typically "Automatic", OTOH the 240D came typically as a 4 speed manual.... I've driven both and the 240 is much better at accelerating... I guess there is the possibility that the 300D I drove was crap.
cheers, guenter

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:57:47 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

those 25 year old relics

Yeah, but it is paid for.