Just bought a 1992 300D turbodiesel.

Greetings all,
I am now the proud owner of a new-to-me 1992 300d turbodiesel. It's got 198k miles on it, the mechanic says that it's in excellent running order
except for a few things:
1) Needs some sort of new coolant hose. (Hose 3250 5300 is what the notes say) 2) Needs a new oil level sensor. 3) May need all four shocks replaced in the next year or two due to their getting mushy with age. No problems driving it now, he said, but he advised I get them changed before doing any big road trips.
Any ideas where I could get the necessary parts and do the work myself? The hose should be simple, the oil level sensor could be handled at the next oil change while the oil's drained already, and the shocks are something my friend and I can do in a few hours (he used to own a very similar diesel Mercedes and did the shock-work himself).
Also, any tips and tricks I should know for this vehicle? It's my first diesel vehicle, and my first Mercedes. I'd love to keep it running as long as possible, in as best condition as possible, and so forth. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers!
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

dealer) or any of the many online websites.

Sounds like you got a nice car if that was all they could find wrong...
There is a ton of info about your car in previous posts here, so searching archives is good. Also lots of discussion of problems, some you will soon face no doubt...
Welcome, Marty

Well, I knew that. :)
I was wondering if there was any "preferred" place that people here would recommend.

Agreed. It's a really fine looking car; pictures are available here: <http://photobucket.com/albums/y170/heypete/Car/MercedesMenloPark/

Indeed. I shall review the archives at Google Groups. Hopefully I can avoid problems...this car seems to have been religiously maintained over the years by a single shop -- their stamp is in the service book on practically all the pages for the first 180k miles.
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com