2.5 300D TurboDiesel (1991-1993)

I understand the 1991-93 2.5 300D TurboDiesels (OM 602 engine, 121 HP) are among the nicest MB diesel cars to have. There are 3 of these florida cars (1993) on EBay in very nice condition (see below). Mileage between 110-160 K miles. Price between $7.5-8.5 K.

There is also a E300D 1995 (W124) with the OM 606 engine that looks very nice-106K miles. I hear these normally aspirated 4-valve per cylinder engines are very nice (134 HP).

I narrowly missed out on buying a good 1987 300SDL because I did not decide quickly. So I am looking at these cars.

Any advise on these cars would be greatly appreciated.

Nagaraj

Reply to
gator_mech

Nagaraj,

All fine choices... you've got pretty much the cream of the MB crop listed in this message. The 602 engine/124 chassis combo was great, very reliable engines. However, when compared to the OM603 powered 1987 300D, there is one complaint: a bit slow. The 603.960 pushes 148hp on the same chassis, but they seem to be more prone to overheating (not a problem if you keep your eyes open). Only year for the 603/124 was 1987, the SD/SDL of 87 had the 603 as well. I knew a man with several 87 300Ds and a 93 300D 2.5T and he preferred the higher performance of the '87s.

If you want the 602 engine and a quick package, the 87 190D-T is the best pick. Rare is an understatement for this car though...

I personally have heard no bad things about the 95 E300D, but rthen again I haven't heard much about em at all. When turbocharged and intercooled, that engine went on to push 178hp for the 1998+ E300D (W210). These engines were some of the first "next generation" MB diesel engines while the 602/603 seemed to be half way between the past and future. 4 valves per cylinder and max power comes at a whopping 5000rpm while the 602/603s got max power about 500rpm lower. Plus, the 1995 E300D has that nifty intake that scoops from smack dab in the middle of the right fender (I think that looks great).

Most all of the W124 diesel offerings were good, you can't really go too wrong with any of them. Speed goes to the 87 300D, efficiency goes to the 91-93 2.5T, high tech goes to the 95 E300D... find a cherry from any of the models and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Mike

There is also a E300D 1995 (W124) with the OM 606 engine that looks very nice-106K miles. I hear these normally aspirated 4-valve per cylinder engines are very nice (134 HP).

I narrowly missed out on buying a good 1987 300SDL because I did not decide quickly. So I am looking at these cars.

Any advise on these cars would be greatly appreciated.

Nagaraj

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

among the nicest MB diesel cars to have. There are 3 of these florida cars (1993) on EBay in very nice condition (see below). Mileage between 110-160 K miles. Price between $7.5-8.5 K.

nice-106K miles. I hear these normally aspirated 4-valve per cylinder engines are very nice (134 HP).

quickly. So I am looking at these cars.

If you can get the '95 for between 9-10k I think it is the one to get

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mike:

Thanks for the very informative post, as always. There are several 1987 =

300TD with the OM603 engines also on Ebay and they are a lot cheaper = than the 2.5E300DT. I will look into it.

As you say, the 1998+ E300D (W210) are the best diesels to get. But they = are in the $22K+ range.

thanks-Nagaraj

[...]

=

=

=

There is also a E300D 1995 (W124) with the OM 606 engine that looks = very nice-106K miles. I hear these normally aspirated 4-valve per = cylinder engines are very nice (134 HP). =

I narrowly missed out on buying a good 1987 300SDL because I did not = decide quickly. So I am looking at these cars.

Any advise on these cars would be greatly appreciated.

Nagaraj

Reply to
gator_mech

I looked at a number of the 124 diesels before I bought an SD. Two of the five I looked at had cracked heads from overheating. The heads were repaired by welding. The cars were represented as excellent. I found out the info by talking to the mechanics.CHECK< CHECK and CHECK again.

Reply to
HORIZON A

From my experience, I can second Mike's comments on the '87 300D. Performance and reliabilty are excellent. There is one important exhaust modification you should check on for this model: Mercedes moved the trap oxidizer downstream from the turbo. Most 87's have had this done because it was free (after warranty). Although the owner may not know, any MB dealer could tell you if it was done if you give them the VIN.

(Always run CarFax)