Leaky tire, W123

So my wife's 1985 300D has a leaky tire. Actually, there was a set of crap tires on there when we bought it, that we couldn't keep air in, so we figured we'd go get some Michelins at Sears along with the hazard warranty. Actually that whole affair has soured me on Sears altogether, but today's the topper of them all.

She goes down to say, "hey, tire's leaking, fix it." They say, "oh yeah, those Mercedes are notorious for that." She calls me to tell me as much, which I then check The Grand Google about, and noting that there is not one single hit from "mercedes air tire leak" that indicates anything endemic, I realize they're probably lying to her. Of course, she sat there for two hours for them to finally get it in and say, "nope, can't find anything," leaving it to me to take the wheel off and get out the hose...

So did I miss something? Is there a "problem" of this nature with Mercedes, or was the dude at the shop just giving my wife the code words for, "we don't want to deal with you, lady"?

thx,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Tire is tire... nothing else. If you dunk the tire into a tub of water, you will find the leak from the bubbling. It might be on the rim where the rubber meet the metal... maybe you might have a hairline crack on your wheel.

Reply to
Tiger

Take it to a competant tire place that will dress the rim. They sand it a bit then apply a black sticky goop which will actually seal when the tire is on. A lot of them do this especialy alloy wheels.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

On my car I have a very slow leak from the right rear tyre.

Some years ago I had it checked out at a Merc garage -- I believe they did the dunk-in-water test but claimed they couldn't find anything.

The leak is still there. No question. Probably a tad worse than before. Pressure drops to, say 20 psi when all the other tyres are still at the correct pressure (33/30 psi). I live with it and just check it reasonably often. I still only have 28 000 miles on the clock (and tyres) (after over

6 years) so I'll just try to last out to the tyre change on grounds of tread.

FWIW they are the original factory-fitted Pirelli 6000s.

The fact that my car is a Merc is neither here nor there.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Hey Dori... try this... get a soapy mix of water and dish soap or kiddie bubble liquid ... go to that tire and put some on the air chuck... where you pump air in... around where it meets the wheel and then take the cap off and put some in where air is supposed to go in... I bet it bubbles there.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks. What do you reckon? Leaky valve?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Slow leak at the rim seal. All my cars have at least one wheel that does this. Just get the rim dressed and it goes away.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks, Richard. Shall look at both suggested solutions (incl Tiger's) next month. Going on holiday (without the car)...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling