Leaky trunk, Water in the spare tire well

Hi,

I know this question has been asked and answered, and I've searched the archives, but I have not found the answer I need...

I have a 1995 Mazda 626. When it rains hard, the spare tire well fills with water. I've checked the trunk seal and the tail light seals. No leaks. Also, the carpet in the trunk seems to be dry all over, EXCEPT in the spare wheel well. It's almost as if the the water is coming from below or somehow channeling under the carpet...

Anyone have any ideas where this water is coming from and how to fix the problem? Any and all help is appreciated. Please send all replies directly to me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Steve B

As with the Miata, perhaps your 626 has ducts that can clog up with debris. The Miata owner's manual shows where those "holes" are so they can be cleaned. Do you have your owner's manual? If so, I bet finding those ducts and how to clean them will be mentioned.

I just found an article from 1999 about this very problem of someone else finding water in the spare wheel well. The fix was not found....read on

Article: After returning home, I decided to give the 626 a bit of a sponge bath and, more to the point, figure out what was going on with the condensation in the trunk. I opened her up, and sure enough more condensation in back even though today's been rain-free. I took out the spare tire and what do you suppose I found? That's right. A virtual swimming pool's worth of water sloshing around in the spare tire well. I sponged this dry, and cleaned everything up. This all explains the condensation anyway, and thankfully, it had nothing to do with the gas tank.

The question now is: How did that water get there in the first place? I would've suspected a leak in the seal around the trunk, except that the carpet covering for the trunk is dry; the water was only under the spare tire which was under the carpet. The thought that then occurred was that there could a hole somewhere in the spare tire well, but it would seem like that sort of thing would also let the water drain back out. I didn't see evidence of a hole anywhere anyway.

My hope is that the previous owner got some water in there at some point by leaving the trunk open during a carwash or whatever and just never bothered to dry it out. If so, the 626's condensation problem might just be solved.

~Cissy "Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out of your sock drawer" ?? :-D

Reply to
Expmiata

Happy New Year, Cissy, and the other nonChinese posters. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

A happy remainder of the year for the Chinese posters of course.

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Happy New year back atcha Leon!! :) ~Cissy "Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out of your sock drawer" ?? :-D

Reply to
Expmiata

Lift the carpet in the wheel well and see if you are missing a plug.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Reply to
jimuntch