MB C250D cold start problem with fueltank less than 25%

I own a 1994 Mercedes C 250 Diesel. 170.000 km. Automatic gearbox. Great car. Since a few weeks it has a strange problem. The car runs very well. Cold or Warm, it always starts perfectly.
But when the fueltank is less than 25% full and the engine is cold, it will not start. For example this morning. Fuel = less than 25% and engine cold. I started almost 5 minutes and the engine wouldn't start. Then i shook the car and started and it came alive.
I really don't get it. The car is in perfect condition and it runs really well. But when the tank is less dan 25% full and the engine is cold, it will not start.
Does anyone have a clue? You would really help me.
Regards,
A desperate dutchman snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
sounds like faulty fuel gauge, have you checked the real fuel level?
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

Yes, fuel level = correct. when i fill 'm up, 45 liters can be added. So there must be at least 15 liters left.

Fill it up and if it starts, well fuel gauges can actually break! Dont trust it go by the trip meter instead.
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

thanx for your reply. unfortunatly its not the fuel gauge or meter. when the problem occurs, i can add approx 45 liters. (62 liters = max) the trip meter is at 560 or 570 km. normally i drive 680-720 km before i have to re-fuel

hmm! strange problem you seem to have, well i guess you will have to refill more often then and thats good because there is always condensation above the fuellevel in tank, so the ideal is to fill up often. Good luck!

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

try removing the fuel cap or leave it so wont seal. you may be getting a vacuum build up in the tank. the pump is having to over come this & after a while it can't any more
good luck
the case, minus a few cans!