cold start problem 1996 chevrolet silverado

5.7 liter fuel injected engine will not start when cold. Runs and starts fine when warm. Starts right up with a shot of starting fluid.
Reply to
Charlie

In general for all vehicles, the fuel system should remain pressurized when the vehicle is off overnight or longer. There will be some sort of "check valve" to keep the fuel in the fuel lines after the vehicle is shut off.

With that said, do a fuel system pressure and leak test. See that is has the correct pressure and that it maintains pressure when the vehicle is off.

Best to use a factory service manual set of books to troubleshoot problems like this. That will explain how various systems work, how to troubleshoot various problems, and how to replace specific parts (where those parts are located). [For your specific year/model vehicle.]

Reply to
Bill

If it is the check valve, simply turning the key on for a few seconds twice before cranking will solve the problem.

Reply to
clare

Thanks for the information about my starting problem,You hit the nail on the head.I had low fuel pressure & defective check valve.You saved me from pulling the rest of my hair out! Thanks again. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie