1992 Sierra cold start problem

I have just purchased a 1992 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8LX and am having problems with cold starting, I think it is the auto choke not working or not being activated. This is a CVH engine with Peirburg (sp?) carb.

The choke is a bi-metallic strip type.

Without pressing the gas pedal the engine starts but immediately dies.

Pressing the gas pedal to the floor, releasing, then starting results in a start but quickly dies again.

My recent car was fuel injected so it is a long time since I have had to deal with cold starting carbs so it could well be me not knowing how to do it.

Anyone suggest the correct method for cold starting?

Thanks. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

My old MkIV Escort with a 1.6 CVH and Weber used to do that. The auto-choke is most likely at fault - best to rip it off and fit a manual conversion.

I did find that a few pumps on the throttle before starting with it released worked more often than not.

Reply to
SteveH

Distant memories of my dad's 1.6 Sierra... Push accelerator pedal down to furthest extent, then release before cranking the engine.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1g5inae.1f1f1v1d17tf1N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

I knew about the manual conversion Steve but TBH I don't want to spend on this car, it's a stop gap until I can afford what I want to drive :-)

Anyway the two pumps on the gas pedal seems to have sorted it. I'm not sure if the choke does work or not. The Haynes manual says you should be able to feel the choke relay switching on and off and I can't but the idle speed increases shortly after start up so somehting's happening :-).

I can live with it.

Thanks for the advice.

John,

That's how I thought it should work but the two pumps does work, thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave W