mercedes c111 quad rotor rotory engine

anyone know anything about this engine?
did it ever go into production or did it die in prototype stage?
as seen here:
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/images/mb4rotor.jpg

Tangential info: http://www.mazda.com/history/rotary /
DAS --

Mercedes built several three rotor and four rotor prototype engines that went into a very slick little wedge shaped prototype car in the early seventies. mercedes never considered the wankel a viable engine and killed the project after about four years of research. Try google. There's plenty out there on that including pictures of the c111 car itself which was really a beautiful example of seventies wedge shaped design. Reminds me of a Saab Sonnet. Have a better one -
It was a very interesting engineering exercise. What most don't remember is that MB took the C-111 and put in a diesel, the C-111 III in 1976. Also, the C-111's suspension design was the basis for the "multi-link" system that debuted on the W201.

was a very interesting engineering exercise. What most don't remember is

that
It was also the internal combustion engine land speed record holder for some time (is it still? my guiness book of world records is out of date) Richard