New CLS Body

Page 1 of 2
I saw a new CLS today and thought it was a bit ugly. Just wondering what other people's opinion was on this new body.

Sexy, but too young for me.

Totally ugly. Looks like a cross between a 1990's taurus and a maybach (blech).

Fully ACK. What makes me wonder is the fact that you can read everywhere in the press, how beautiful this car is (they claim that its beauty is the main reason to buy this car). They even do comparison tests with two door coups, because they regard it as a coup. IMHO Mercedes currently has a bad run with their coups. The CLK looks too high and too japanese for me, the CL is mediocre by means of design and the CLS is downright ugly.
No comparison to the old times when Mercedes offered classic beauties like the W124 coup or the W126 coup.
Frank
BTW: For those of you who have not seen the new CLS in real life yet: Things don't get better if you do.

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper wrote:

I agree with both of you.
The more I wonder why the car is so popular with the targeted buyers (here in Europe), they really seem to like it, means I have already seen a couple of CLSs.
Juergen

Personally, I like the Maybach, and appreciate the hints of it in the CLS, but of course that is a matter of personal preference. As for the Taurus comment, I actually think the body looks more like the Oldsmobile Aurora. If you really want to see an MBZ that looks like a Taurus, look at the front end of the CL. I do like the looks of the CLS, although I don't think it's especially "Mercedes" and I doubt I'd ever buy one. This car is marketed to people who feel a 4-door sedan isn't sporty enough for their image, and find the backseat of the CL or CLK too unusable for the rare occasion when they need to carry four adults. Personally, I find the E55 model to be plenty sporty and with a usable three-passenger back seat as a bonus.
--
- RODNEY

Oh, well, that's ok then.

Not really.
--

- RODNEY

Really? Ya think?
Last good car was designed when Paul Brach retired.
Pardon my hignorance, but who is Paul Brach?
At MB the successors to Bruno Sacco seem to be doing well (except the CLS?)
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@T-FCN.Net...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Correct spelling is Paul Braq
That is a famous designer who worked for MB and designed models like Strichacht ( /8 = W114/115), S-Class of the sixties = W108/109 and later changed to BMW were he designed cars like the first 3-series (E21).

That depends on... =:-(
Juergen
Totally ugly..... in the real world a coupe is a 2 door vehicle. Not sure what drugs they were on to call this POS a 4 door coupe! If you are taller than 5' 6", do NOT even bother trying to sit in the back seat.
Now MBUSA is trying to compete with Lexus etc and is coming out with another S class, the S350W SWB. Canada has the short wheelbase S430 and S500. The US only got long wheelbase cars. The S350W is a 2006 model, appearing March 2005, using the 3.7L V6 engine in the 112 family.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I saw&nbsp;a new CLS today and thought it was a bit ugly.&nbsp; Just wondering what other people's opinion was on this new body.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

CLS = Coup-Like Sedan!
There was a time when a coup was a vehicle with not just two doors but two *seats*. But when back seats were added to them and they were marketed as "coups," people bought into it (just as you do now). Given the history, who knows?, maybe in 30-40 years a coup will be thought of as any low-roofline vehicle.
--/<eith
Keith Baird wrote:

LOL!
Juergen
I saw black CLS today with a $30,000 Brabus kit on it. It looked awesome. But at close to $90,000, I think there are better options out there.

Saw a CLS 500 a couple of nights ago. Looked quite dramatic, but am still not sure where it is supposed to fit in. Alternative to E-Class? To BMW 5?
I did not find it unattractive. Maybe because it was black and it was dark...
DAS

It's been said in the press that the CLS-class slots in between the E-class and the S-class. The price certainly seems to corroborate,
--/<eith
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:23:39 -0600, Keith Baird

Probably and alternative to BMW 6.
Kal
Well, I mentioned that I saw two of them in Stuttgart a few months back - silver one on the street and a black one at the downtown showroom on Trlenstrae. The car feels bigger when you stand next to them than an E Klasse. If I had to choose between an E55 and CLS 55, based on photos of the CLS 55 I would have no problems picking the CLS 55.
IMO, this is a very nice body design and the lowered more aggressive AMG look improves on it. What I do not like is the typically noisy AMG exhaust. They are designed to impress boy racer types. I just like a fast smooth well handling car with a very high level of finish and luxury. The noisy exhaust turns me off completely.
If I had to choose between an CLS 500 and CLS 55 I would pick the CLS 500 with AMG body kit / suspension but without the stupid exhaust. I will leave street racing to someone else.
However, I would take a test drive before comparing it to a BMW like the E65 - because IMO the ride in the Mercedes is likely not quite the same.

Does it have a B piller?