2005 CLS 55 AMG

Mercedes-Benz has unveiled the 2005 CLS 55 AMG, the company's latest hot rod and the flagship of its new CLS-Class sedan line. The CLS 55 will go on sale in January along with the rest of the CLS-Class cars.

While Mercedes officials said in an interview that they do not have an estimated price for the CLS 55, they did say the CLS-Class' pricing will fall between that of its top-tier sedans, the E-Class, which will start at $49,220 for 2005, and the S-Class, whose 2004 model starts at $74,970. Hot rod AMG variants typically cost about 15 to 20% more than the mainstream models on which they are based.

Mercedes, which is owned by DaimlerChrysler (nyse: DCX - news - people ), had already said that it wants the CLS-Class to be a sportier sedan line than the E- and S-Classes, and that the company expects the CLS will attract more customers who are new to the brand than its other high-end sedans do. Despite this information--and the benefits of making the CLS a slightly more aggressive-looking car, with such styling elements as a belt line that rises as it heads toward the back of the vehicle--we still don't have a satisfactory answer as to why Mercedes thinks it needs to add another sedan line (it has three already) to a cluttered market. Mercedes has too many models that feature the 5.0-liter V-8 engine which will power the base model, the CLS 500. That V-8 is getting old and, relative to other luxury brands' engines, doesn't produce a great deal of horsepower (302) given how big it is.

We are still excited to drive the CLS 55 AMG, if only because it is more powerful than the red-hot, 469 hp E55 AMG sedan. Using the supercharged, 5.5-liter V-8 engine that appears in other Mercedes AMG cars, the CLS 55 will make 476 hp--more than the E55, less than the S55. Its 516 pounds-feet of torque matches the figures from the E55 and S55.

The results of this engine tuning are impressive: Mercedes said in a statement that the CLS 55 will be able to accelerate from 0-62 mph in

4.7 seconds, and that it will have an electronically limited maximum speed of 155 mph. In addition to the souped-up engine, it will feature a sports suspension and a high-performance braking system.

In the CLS 55, as with other AMG cars, the engine's power is transferred to the wheels through a five-speed automatic transmission. The driver can choose between automatic or manual gear changes, the latter of which are controlled either through a selector lever or gearshift buttons on the steering wheel (BMW's hot rod M cars have the same choice).

Like other AMG and M cars, the CLS 55 AMG will feature subtle styling differences from its parent model. It has 18-inch light-alloy wheels with wide tires, large air inlets near round fog lamps and two chromed, oval exhaust pipes. AMG fans will recognize the badge on the car that says "V8 Kompressor"--"supercharged V-8" in English. The interior will feature perforated sports seats and Nappa leather in a choice of three colors.

Forbes Fact Mercedes previewed the CLS line at last September's International Motor Show in Frankfurt with the Vision CLS prototype. The company unveiled the new, ready-for-production CLS 500 at April's New York International Auto Show.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

See also

Prices here in Germany (Euro, incl. 16 per cent VAT) are starting at CLS 350 54.346 (incl. 7-sp auto, radio, air con, 17" alloys) CLS 500 67.280 (includes air suspension and 18" alloys) AMG 55 CLS 96.164

The price for the AMG styling package for CLS 350 and 500 is unknown yet.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Yeah, I agree, 302 hp, underpowered. Might as well walk...

OTOH, I do agree with the question about the purpose of this vehicle, howver nice it might look.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Hmmm - just decided NOT to buy an used E420T as my other town car because with 279 PS it might be a bit overpowered...

...but if 302 hp is underpowered maybe I should re-think and go for an E55T?

Juergen - 72 PS in his other town car (town car, not Town Car)

Reply to
Juergen .

I second that.......my SL500 with 302 HP is a dog. Sometimes I feel the need to get out and push it...........

Reply to
jav

Have you tried driving it in 4 instead of D?

Reply to
Tiger

If you are already getting an SL500, it seems logical to pay a bit more and get the 600 and have some decent power.

The car I really do not understand is the SL55. It has significantly less torque than an SL600 but is only 8,000 US Dollars less.

Now if I can just convince a dealer to let me drive away with one.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Hi Juergen...I saw those prices also but was wondering if the US will get both the CLS 350 and the CLS 500 about the same timeframe as Europe, ie in January '05? I had read somewhere that the US would only get the CLS 500. I am really growing attached to that car but do not need or want a V8. My present '03 E320 is plenty of HP for me and the new 350 being around 272 HP will more than satisfy my standing start urges.

Hope all is well with you...have not been on this group in quite a while.

Jack

Reply to
Nevada Jack

I was being facetious...........probably should have included a ;)

0-60 MPH in 6.1sec may not be a Ferrari beater, but it's quick enough to get the groceries.
Reply to
jav

This NG is dominated by North Americans, Californians even, who look down on anything below 350 bhp...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Not everyone wants an V12. Plus here in Germany there is a base-price difference of 32.000 Euro.

The SL600 is more an extremely powerful cruiser - or whatever you want to call it, it is a bit like a Gran Turismo, having enough power under any circumstances and giving a very relaxed and fast ride even on long distances whilst the SL 55 (you know, the slow version of the SL 65 ;-) ) is clearly more aimed at the sports crowd overall.

What really is shabby is that here in Germany for an SL 55 AMG you have to pay an extra

250 Euro for Bi-Xenon headlights with washer... Sometimes I think the MB marketing folk is on drugs! ==:-(((

That's basically simple: Give him 200 grand and he'll give you an SL 65 ;-))

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

_Beginning of 2005_ is what I know - yes, it leaves some room for speculation if that will be January as here in Europe (orders can already be placed here in Europe).

And I also heard that the CLS 350 will _not_ come to the US - but please don't nail me on that!

Of course noone _needs_ the 302 PS/306 hp the CLS 500 offers!

But the 272 PS of the CLS 350 is not significantly less, and it has a max torque of 350 Nm (easy to remember ;-) ) from 2400 to 5000 rpm whilst the CLS 500 boatss 460 Nm, but _only_ from 2700 to

4250 rpm.

So marketing left aside it is simply a choice between a V6 and a V8 engine - and no choice of power.

Yes, thanks - I hope all is well with you, too!

Nice to read you here again!

Juergen from Germany

Juergen .

Reply to
OniIsan

I honestly thought Europeans looked down on anything below 350.... Isn't that where almost all the "speed" comes from????

Reply to
OniIsan

You have it the wrong way round. Most Europeans would get a crick in the neck trying to look up to ABOVE 150 bhp, the rest above 250...

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

PS. .. other than the motor industry execs who are driving the horsepower race, of course...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

well then... my mistake!

Reply to
OniIsan

Except that now you can get a nicely tarted up old E class with 340 HP for 30-40 thousand USA dollars - the Chrysler 300C. I am assuming European prices will be the same as American. Hemi is such a funny word. Say it fast several times.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Reply to
L. Cook

In general 'US' cars are a lot dearer in Europe than in the USA.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling