New S350 for US market

Hello,
I was surprised to see that Mercedes-Benz USA has added the short-wheelbase S350 to its roster for the model year 2006. That particular model is fitted with antediluvean 3,7-litre V6 motor putting
out the laughable 241 horsepowers rather than new 278-horsepower 3,5-litre motor. I suppose it would elbow into S430 with similar performance.
What next? The excellent S400 CDI? And the unprecedent SLK320 CDI and SL400 CDI?
Oliver
Oh great! They are going to make the miniS even smaller!!!!! Guess they have reallllllly flipped out finaly. And I bet the reliability will be even less than the current crop of junkers. Good ole Jerkin Shrimp!
mcbrue sorrowfully under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
I seem to have to remind you'se guys that the standard wheelbase S-Class is considered to be large in everywhere except North America. I am not aware that there is a "short" wheelbase S...
DAS
"mcbrue" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
Until the price of oil hits one hundred dollars per barrel, then you will not have to remind us.
.
Or taxes reach 75% or more of the selling price of petrol in NA...
But I am taking of body size, not engine size.
In Europe the smallest S engines is 2.8 l petrol with 197 hp. It may be insufficient for NAs but it is still rather big. It enables people to have an S body without a giant engine. http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passenger_cars/home/products/new_cars/s-class_saloon/technical_data/petrol_models.html
(BTW, McBrue et al: here is a ref to "short wheelbase" on that web page...)
The S 280 weighs 1.79 t. Thus its power-to-weight ratio is less favourable than my CLK 320 (Cab), which weighs about 1.6 t and has 218 PS. However, as I think I have more than enough power I would be very happy with an S280 if I wanted a large (LARGE) car but did not want or could not afford a bigger engine. The next petrol is the S 350 with a huge 3.8 l engine and 245 hp.
There is a GBP 5 500 post-tax difference between the two with the only included extras on the 350 being and electric glass sunroof (price GBP 890) and headlamp wash (a waste of money in my opinion; I have it).
S 280 combined fuel consumption is 25.5 mpg, the 350 is the same.
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...