Re: 300td turbo tranny probs

That is a leaking clutch pack seal... No way around... does it slip in between all gear? or it is slipping when you first accelerate?

I had the same symptoms on a 300sd, and it turned out to be linkage adjustment. The slipping was all at acceleration. If I just let the car go at the minimal throttle, the "flarring" disappeared. The PO had apparently tried to adjust it and the lengths of the adjustable connecting rods were all wrong.
The factory manual had all of the correct lengths in mm.
After you check the linkage... I want you to unplug the vacuum hose to the tranny... plug up the hose and drive it. Shifitng will be harsh but I want to know if the tranny still slips... if yes, then you need rebuilt tranny.
Be sure to shop... I just don't trust old tranny... Rebuilt tranny is around $1000.
Wow... this is exactly what is wrong with my car - slipping only under acceleration (and really only from a stop).
Can anyone share some hints on checking these linkages? I can do much to repair a car but have never summoned the courage to work on an automatic transmission. Are these linkages easy to find? What are the correct lengths? I appreciate any help that can be offered.

The factory diesel shop manual has the correct lengths in millimeters. The linkages were (at least on my '83 SD) on the drivers side of the engine and connected the throttle with the injection pump, the altitude sensor and the transmission.
I would not advise adjusting these without a through reading of the procedure, Additionally if the transmission fails to downshift in a timely manner (i.e kicks you in the ass as you come to a stop) can also indicate maladjusted linkages or that little vacuum modulator on the top of the valve cover is bad.
What is the current mileage on the car?
As for the gear ratio, it would be in the rear end... not tranny.