clutch/tranny woes

The manual tranny is my 93 explorer decided to die a couple weeks ago, so I had it rebuilt. Today I replaced the rear main seal (it was leaking) and put a new clutch disc and pressure plate on there as well as a new clutch slave cylinder (since it was the original part and I definitely didn't want to be taking this tranny out again any time soon). So I installed the slave cylinder in the bellhousing of the tranny and then installed the tranny, hooked the exhuast back up, put the crossmember back on, plugged in all the cables, filled the tranny with fluid, and then bled the clutch hydraulic system. Once everything was done I started it. The clutch feels kinda weak. I can put it into gear with the engine off but not while running. If I put the car in gear then start it, the car rolls foward as if I were letting out the clutch just a tad, even though I'm not. I'm feeling kinda crazy right now since I just spent $1000 on clutch/tranny parts and spent all day working on it. I'm hoping its something stupid. Is it possible that I just didnt bleed it enough? What else could it be? Thanks for any help.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Walker

Aaron:

Did you have yer flywheel surfaced? If not then I suspect trapped air in the system.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

"Aaron Walker"wrote

Before you get too excited, I'd be rechecking your bleeding of the hydraulic portion of the clutch. Don't assume that gravity bleeding will do the job on a hydraulic clutch set-up. You need to have someone press down on the clutch pedal while you open the bleed screw. This will force air out that often won't come out by gravity bleeding.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The flywheel didn't need to be resurfaced. I touched it up a little with 400 grit sand paper like my Ford service manual says.

Aar>>Subject: clutch/tranny woes

Reply to
Aaron Walker

Try re-bleeding the system a few times, that might do it for you. Btw, a Mighty-Vac works well for bleeding hydraulic systems.

Aar> The manual tranny is my 93 explorer decided to die a couple weeks ago,

Reply to
Rick Colombo