leaking axle seal?

The other day, I went to get my car inspected and the shop said that my rear brakes weren't working and I failed that part (amongst others, geez) so I checked my back brakes today and found that the inside of the drum had a bunch of grease on it. It looked like the brake cylinder had been leaking but on closer inspection the brake cylinder looked fine and the grease looked a lot thicker than I remember when I've seen leaky brake cylinders before. So I'm thinking the axle shaft seal has gone out and it's leaking gear oil into the drum. Does that seem possible?

If it is, what's it like changing that seal? I've got a 10 bolt rear with a posi unit with 3.23's. From what I understand, I need to remove the clip on the end of the axle and slide it out, pop out the bearing and seal, replace the seal, put the bearing, axle and clip back in and I'm good to go. Did I oversimplify that?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

69CamaroSS

Yes your axles seals can and will do that. It's more commen on S-10's.

69CamaroSS did a good job explaing how to remove the axles.

I use a prybar to pop the seal out, you can use a seal puller. To install the seals I tap them in place with my hand, then use a short block of 4x4 as a seal driver. Then I tap them in with a engeeners hammer. Using a block is better as it evenly spreads the force, plus the wood with not gall the seals surface.

Also before you reinstall your axles, I always lube the seals with barring grease, as well as the axle it's self. I use either Valvoline

80W90 or Lucas Gear Oil. Since your car has a Eaton posi-traction unit, add Posi-Trac lube to it as well. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Hi Bruce,

Wednesday May 18 2005, Bruce Chang writes to All:

Kevin snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Kevin Klement