Re: 500 SEL - On the way out? - Really?

Hi Guys:

> > Saw a post from another UK person here that intimated that Oil in the Air- > filter = Engine on its way out. > > Is this true???? > > There is a "breather" pipe from the RH side rocker box cover to the air > filter body, so would it be reasonable to suppose that if oil/oil-vapour > makes it's way into the air-filter you are really looking at a top-end re- > furb because gases are leaking past worn valve-stems? > > I always thought this engine was virtually "unbreakable" - esp. the bottom > end. > > Any advice & guidance available out there? > > Regards, > > Dan.
Reply to
marlinspike

Not necessarily. The engine crankcase breathes into the filter as part of the emissions control system. Sometimes the rocker cover too. Obviously, gas from an oily environment such as the crankcase will contain a certain amount of oil. As the engine components wear, so the amount of gas (and oil) increases, so people may interpret this as a sign of a worn out engine.

But many other things will cause this too. Blocked breather hoses, build ups of gunge etc. Also this system will usually incorporate some kind of oil separator which may become defective.

I had a similar problem with a diesel van once, which was cured by replacing the flutter valve in the oil separator. This component cost only 50p (30 cents), and that was from the Ford stealership!

I'd suggest cleaning everything and looking closely at whatever oil separator device is used. A compression test will reveal if the problem is due to wear.

If the car is running OK, I'd try not to worry too much about it, just clean the oil off regularly.

Reply to
Alexander S. Wood

On the left valve cover toward the front of the engine there is a similar hose from the VC to the idle circuit. Remove this hose, first from the vVC and then from the other end. Look down into the pipe in the idle circuit and you should see a very small hole in the bottom of the pipe. Clean out this small hole and the rubber pipe that goes to the VC. This fixed my 84 500 SEL. If the above instructions didn't make sense, let me know.

Paul

84 500 SEL
Reply to
Paul McKechnie