Squeeky brakes on 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL

My wifes 84 Mercedes 500 SEL has really noisy brakes does anyone know what can Quiet them down. Thanks

Reply to
MYWIFES84500SEL via CarKB.com

First inspect the rotors... make sure they are flat and true... not mirror like and wavy. I don't know what mileage you have on that car.

The question is if you want to change the rotors... the front takes a bit more work to change but you know... one time job.

If you prefer to go cheaper way... and got alot of meat on the pads on the car now... rough up the rotors... the rougher the better... use rough emory sandpaper and scour them up both side of the disc.

When you are done, brake gently until you can get to the road where you can drive 50 MPH and not busy... so you can do the break in.

The break in is at 50mph or so... gently slow the car down about 10 or 15 MPH and then speed up again... and repeat 4 times and you are done.

Reply to
Tiger