SLR vs. Viper?

Is there any common heritage between the SLR MacLaren and the Dodge Viper? The SLR seems to look like the Viper in some angles, especially towards the back.
Yousuf Khan
The obvious common heritage is the VIN plate spelling out DaimlerChrysler. I'm sure there's some part commonality between SLR and Viper.
bbbl67 wrote:

No. The viper was out on the streets before the SLR was. To some extent all modern cars share contemporary design ideas but these two are in no way related, not like, say the 109 coupe and bmw 633 which were designed by the same guy.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Hmm, okay, I noticed the similarity in their rear quarters first, which set the question in my head. And then later it made some logical sense to me that maybe the two cars were possibly related since they come from the same company. Other things similar between the Viper and the SLR is that they both have the side-panel exhaust pipes. And also the very long hood section (which would of course be needed for each of their very long engines).
Yousuf Khan
Even though these cars are both from Daimler Chrysler, the Viper was created back when chrysler was on it's own, and by a small team of desginers led by the one and only Carroll Shelby. The SLR was created by McLaren. I don't think you could really say the SLR is related to anything. If you had to, the easiest argument would be the Mclaren F1. They have similar technolgies (carbon frame and build process, inboard springs and dampers, yada yada.) I'm fortunate enough to have seen both in person with their hoods raised and the SLR is light years ahead of the viper in technology. I'd still take a viper though.
Bill