Sudden Acceleration

Hi, I have a 300E 1989. The car has developed a weird problem, where sometimes it suddenly accelerates without any push on the gas pedal. My mechanic is totally clueless about it and has not been able to fix
it.
Has anyone seen this, and what is the problem?
Thanks,
steve
--
This article was posted by author's request
by http://www.AutoForumz.com /. Report abuse:
> Possible input from the cruise control - could your hand be hitting its > stalk in the upward - Acceleration - direction? > > If not,to exclude the cruise control remove its fuse or vacuum to the > cruise control servo. > > Thereafter, if the problem continues, check the throttle linkage and the > engines motor mounts. If a motor mount is broken the engine can shift > and conceivably pull open the throttle.
Thanks, T.G. Now that you have mentioned it, it does feel like a cruise control malfunction. It has the feel of CC picking it up, and should be easy to checkout (em... by my mechanic).
Thanks for the other diagnostic info. That should help, if it is not the cruise.
steve