V8 Engine Cylinder Numbering

I am playing with an old 380, thats running like a bag of shit. Finding the firing order is OK, but how are the cyliners numbered? Like a chev front most cylinder is one and back and forth across the
engine, or like a Ford and front most cylinder is number one and down the engine and then the other side?
As best I can work out someone has bunged the spark plug wires on anywhere, it runs but only just. The wire positions just dont seem to add up to either of them, or is it some strange way.
Thanks Guys
Standing in front of the car the numbering goes like this; like you describe the Ford engine.
4 8 3 7 2 6 1 5 --
Greetings from Holland
-- w116 350SE @ 450

In Mercedes engines, standard practice has long been for the oil fill cap to be over the number one cylinder's cam lobes. This is so when setting up timing you don't have to remove the cam cover to set the no. 1 piston on the compression stroke (cams up).
What a good tip for us DIYers!
Thanks, Bill.
except if its a 6.9 with the dry sump pressure fed oiling system. you'll have a hard time seeing anything but oil down that oil filler!

to be

timing you

compression