what's the best bet on a used MB for about $7500?

Page 1 of 2
The single most important thing about getting a used one for us is dependability. Assuming the cars are in normal condition for their age, which is the better bet:
a bigger one that's older or a smaller newer one?
For example, are the 190's more reliable than the 300's?
Thanks,
elf

on it and, except for routine maintenance, has reuqired no repairs whatever... well the 2" hose to the water pump is leaking a bit, but I'm not going to do this 'major', really!, repair. A 190e, on the other hand I've just purchased has had a veritable plethora of repairs done to it (it's a '93) and I hope I've bought an essentially new car cheaply :-)
guenter
Still happy with your new 190E, then?
DAS --

    Dori, I haven't driven it yet. Just got io licensed today and hope to have oil/transmission fluid/brake fluid, etc changed on weekend and start driving it. I will report back on how it feels compared to driving a 300e.
best regards
elf,
If you want reliability, ease of maintenance, and economoy you should look at a diesel.
I would suggest 300SD in your price range. Diesels have their quirks but once you find one that is in decent shape (and in your price range...shouldnt be a problem), you will be very happy.
anil bharucha 1985 300D Turbo 205,xxx mi

From Illustrated buyer's guide, Mercedes Benz:
A 300E (124) is your best overall buy in a used MB. Period. End of discussion.
My wife have one, now with 280.000 km on the clock. It's still very good for long rides with 160 to 180 km/h. (100 to 105 miles/h).
Parts that are used, as on any other car, are cheep. Motor repairs are expensive.
Good luck Michael Denmark -- Hilsen Michael Buus Srensen +45 2068 6810

For $7500 I'll sell my 6.9 and you will get a big solid rocketship built for cruising!

Fred Emmerich
whats a 6.9? KH

It was the ancestor of S-Class, the Mercedes flagship based on 450SL with a big block 6.9L engine by the end of the '70s. I love that conservative design.

Parts prices on those 6.9 cars can be bad. You also have to live with that Chrysler designed climate control servo. But the 6.9 engine was so low compression that mileage suffered even more than it might have had with reasonable compression. I think the compression on that engine was only 7.9 to 1 and that's without a turbo. I never could understand why the designers went with such low compression. Still it was a great engine with dry sump lubrication and all those engines were extensively tested at high rpm on stands before they went into the cars.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Sounds like an invitation for someone to bolt a turbo on. Wonder if anyone's ever done so? If it was properly engineered, I imagine a turbo 6.9 would definitely get one's attention, to say the least.
Dave
I know a guy with a 6.9 turbo. he said it is a dog. Parts are no higher than any other MB. I have had no problems unique to the 6.9, all mine are usual 116 stuff. The CC servo is easy to change out, no biggie. And its LOTS faster than the 450SEL. Crappy gas mileage though.

Fred Emmerich

aye, especially powering out of a corner. in the rain.
atwifa wrote:

A W116 S-Class is an ideal rally car: http://www.mbspy.com/w116r.htm
Juergen - the wild days are over
Turbos are good for diesels, not for petrol cars, especially not with big engines.
What's the point?
DAS --
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk says...

A ridiculous amount of horsepower and torque?
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0106_ttviper /
I'd say that's a fairly big engine, to say the least, and it seems to have responded quite well to turbocharging. There's a newer model, the Venom 1000, that puts out even more power.
Granted, it's not aimed at the same buyers who are likely to want a 6.9, but it's stretching things a bit to make sweeping claims like "turbos aren't good for large petrol engines."
Dave

Especially when Mercedes just added twin turbos to the current 6 litre V12 engine.
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
miknik wrote:

and it still needs more power!!
.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

700 PS from that engine is no problem.
Juergen
Juergen . wrote:

Actually I was joking.
I suppose I should have used an emoticon.
It would be nice if they offered a version with 700. From what I understand they cannot because of the transmission. Do you know how long it will be until the 5 speed is phased out?
.