what's the best bet on a used MB for about $7500?

A ridiculous amount of horsepower and torque?

I'd say that's a fairly big engine, to say the least, and it seems to have responded quite well to turbocharging. There's a newer model, the Venom 1000, that puts out even more power.

Granted, it's not aimed at the same buyers who are likely to want a 6.9, but it's stretching things a bit to make sweeping claims like "turbos aren't good for large petrol engines."

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Especially when Mercedes just added twin turbos to the current 6 litre V12 engine.

Reply to
miknik

fred snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.spamnet wrote in news:3fb3be6b$1$serq_rzzrevpu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net:

And for ANOTHER $7500 you can replace the oil filter.

6.9 parts are the most expensive replacement parts in the known universe.
Reply to
MusicMax

and it still needs more power!!

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

700 PS from that engine is no problem.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Not true at all. Standard 116 stuff on the chassis. Struts and spheres not exotic. Hydraulic pump can be rebuilt cheap as a PS pump.

Here is an example: a 6.9 fuel injector is $25. A fuel injector for a 6.3 is $1400.

Bottom line is a 6.9 is no more expensive to maintain than any other MB of the same vintage. If you take care of things promptly, it is always cheaper than waiting.

Reply to
fred_emmerich

Actually I was joking.

I suppose I should have used an emoticon.

It would be nice if they offered a version with 700. From what I understand they cannot because of the transmission. Do you know how long it will be until the 5 speed is phased out?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Less than 2 years - there's a stronger 7-speed version in the pipeline. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown