Where Does All That Oil Go?

I've owned two W123 diesels, an '85 300D and my current car, and '82 300CD. Their engines hold 8 quarts of oil. And yet, when I drain the oil preparatory to changing
it, I only get about six quarts out. (I put the used oil into 1-gallon plastic milk jugs, so this volume isn't difficult to estimate.)
I understad that some amount of oil is going to cling to the inside of the engine as a film -- but *two quarts?* Fully twenty-five percent of the rated capacity? There has to be some cavity or other in the engine where a substantial volume of dirty oil is pooling, but damned if I can think of where it'd be. Yes, I open the filter canister when I drain the used oil, but that's only good for a pint or so.
Geoff
--
Scourging the world of liberalism,
one sniveling jerkoff at a time.

I guess your not aware of the oil cooler?

I'm aware of it, having replaced my car's radiator in my driveway a couple of years ago. But I'm surprised that it holds two quarts of oil. And even given that it apparently does, one would think that since the oil cooler is oriented vertically, it would drain into the crankcase when the engine is shut off.
Geoff