Whining noise after snowbank

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. My son appears to like 'spinning out' on the snow and recently did this in our '93 190e. Afterward there is now a distinct resonance 'whine' that develops near that wheel. I
jacked the car up on fears that he hit the bank harder than he insists he did but the wheel spins free and does not wobble. Everything seems in order. I can put it into neutral while driving and it does not affect the whine. It is clearly a 'resonance' since it can get 'very' loud if kept at the right speed around 40 or 50 kph. anyone with any ideas??
cheers, guenter

Without hearing the snowbank thing my first instinct is to say "flex disc/center carrier bearing".
Rubber lasts about 15 years on average. If yours is original it may be the problem.
If you can an or car balance they'll spin up the wheels, any resonence in them would manifest itself here. Else its the driveline.
thanks for your reply Richard,
Richard Sexton <See http://rs79.vrx.net for address> wrote:

sounds reasonable, however when I put the car into neutral and rev the engine there appears to be essentially no change to the 'whine'. It's possible that I've not thought of something but I would think that rules out the drivetrain. Mind you I 'know' that my flex disk is bad since I get 'clunking' when gears change and I can rotate the drive shaft significantly without rotating the part coming out of the transmission.

I think you are right, I've got to let them spin up the wheels ... turns out I need to do an emission test anyway .... and see what happens
cheers, guenter

Richard Sexton wrote:

My GF's '88 190E automatic (70000 km) has a slight resonance at around 50 kph, I guess that would be the flex disc going too, eh? She doesn't even notice it, but I do.
Is that difficult/expensive to fix?
Ximinez

Only if you consider crawling under a car and undoing some bolts hard to do. MARK THE DRIVESHAFT SO IT GOES BACK TOGETHER *EXACTLY* the same way.
The (2? 3?) piece drivesahft is balanced as a unit and MUST go back on the same spline they came off of. EXACTLY. Your MARKS MUST line up. This cannot be emphasized enough, get it wrong and you'll possibly never get it back. As long as you mark it (scribe, white grease pencil or both) it's dead easy.
You'll need a flex disk and center carrier/bearing. Not terribly expensive. IIRC the flex disk must be pointed in a certain direction but it's marked on the disc itself.
Richard Sexton wrote:

I guess I'll hire a mechanic anyway ;) Thanks once again for the advice.
Ximinez
Richard Sexton <See http://rs79.vrx.net for address> wrote:

absolutely spot on. I was going to do it myself this spring, but will now have the shop do it seeing that it's just too bloody cold outside :-(
cheers

well, I'm starting to think it is indeed the flexdisk. In my case I knew already that it was starting to go and the snowbank incident appears to be coincidence with the vibrations starting. I checked all wheels again etc and when I tried listning for the vibration through the window I realized pretty quickly that the noise was loudest inside the cabin, right underneath the transmission in the center..... so, will take it in to get the flex disk repaired asap.
thanks all for the suggesstions, much appreciated!
cheers, guenter
Guenter Scholz wrote:

BTW, are these flex discs unique for w210, or can I expect the same problems with my old w124 diesel automatic?
Ximinez

I'm pretty sure they are on every postwar MB and BMW. Certainly every MB 1960's and later has them. And they all do this :-)
Richard Sexton wrote:

Well, it's always good to know what you can expect to brake down sooner or later. I'll best start saving ;)
Ximinez
On 2006-02-09 11:43:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) said:

Maybe you got lucky and he just knocked off some tire balance weights?
Martin Joseph wrote:

Check to see if a piece of molding or wheel well liner poped loose and is vibrating in the wind as you drive..... happens a lot. Pat
--
Email: patlandy_at_verizon.net
HELP GROW THE ECONOMY, SUPPORT THE FAIRTAX.