Whining noise

Okay, I'm hearing a whine from what seems to be the passenger side of the engine...sounds a little like a siren as I accelerate / decelerate. Not a squeal or squeak.

156,000 miles on a '94 SL2. I'm guessing it's a tensioner or alternator...not ruling out power steering. (I'm afraid to stick a stethoscope on any of those that close to a turning serpentine belt!)

I can replace all three components myself for a reasonable cost. They're all three original equipt, so it might not be a bad idea anyway. My wife had a '93 and we replaced the alternator AND the tensioner, but that was due to bearing failure, not just a whining noise.

But can someone help me rule out a noisy timing chain? What do these things sound like when they get old? It occurred to me last night that the noise might be the chain rubbing on the chain guide.

This noise has been around for about 20,000 miles, or two years, and I was just waiting for something to break. Now I'm not sure it'll ever break!

Any help?

Thanks

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

I had this same problem shortly before my alternator went. This was on a 92 SL2.

Reply to
David Gintz (formerly newdive

My 2000 SL1 had a very irratating whining noise from the passenger side. It got worse whenever I drove past malls. I broke up with my GF and the noise stopped.

Reply to
Dean S. Lautermilch©²ºº³