Hydraulic Handbrakes

In addition to the parking brake, fitted without button ;-)

Can they be fitted in 'series' with the main braking system - line from master cylinder through handbrake and to the wheel - push pedal brakes work as normal, pull handbrake applies rears only - or will I get problems with the brakes not 'freeing off' after application? As I can see I shouldn't - as you can push pistons back into cylidners with the brake pedal up and fluid flows straight through the master cylinder, but does anybody have any experience?

Reply to
marko

Not allowed afaik. The parking brake must be independant of the main brake.

Reply to
sPoNiX

He dose say it's to be in addition to his existing parking brake.

Reply to
Depresion

That's what we thought last time I asked - so this time in addition to a (now cabled) transmission/parking brake is legal - but can it be done on the same hydraulic circuit or does it need aother caliper/slave.

As I can see if I plumb a master cyli in series with the rear brakes, and leave enough free-play in the lever such that the check-valve in the handbrake master cylinder doesn't activate it should work?

Reply to
marko

Well but he's still planning to put it in series with the main braking system. What if there's a failure eg: hydraulic leak somewhere?? you've got no backup braking system.

Reply to
Brian Su

He uses the cable handbrake, as he's said!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I would still have front brakes (the master cylidner pistons collapse into eah other, sealing off the rear brakes and leaving braking on the fronts); and I'd still have the transmission brake. Its legal, I just want to know if it'll work...

Reply to
marko