2001 Mustang 3.8 Fuel Temperature Sensor ?

Problem: 2001 Ford Mustang will turn over fine but won't start. Hooked up OBD-II scanner and found code P0181 "Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance". I picked up a haynes manual to find this great sensor but it doesn't show it anywhere.

Question: Is this sensor located on the fuel rail right in front of the engine? Also what's the chances of this sensor being bad or is there a way to test it, since my limited haynes manual doesn't tell me squat.

TIA

Reply to
Wildatom

The 2002 PC/ED (laptop is at work so I have to go from what I can get at online) shows the fuel temp sensor as being part of the fuel pressure transducer..... there should be three wires going to the sensor on the fuel rail if this is the case. The sensor is the most likely cause of the concern though corrosion, spread terminals or even pin pushout could create the same concern. If the sensor is relatively inexpensive, it may be easier to just replace the sensor and see if that is the problem rather than jump through a lot of hoops.

Other than that, you would need a computer friendly multimeter to check powers, grounds and shorts.....

Jim Warman

Jim,

Thanks for your input on this, I did find it on the fuel rail and of course none of the local parts stores carry this (fuel temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel transducer). I'll wait for the dealer to open tomorrow and check it out.

Where on-line did you find this information ? 2002 PC/ED (what is it)??? Sounds like a great place.

Reply to
Wildatom

Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual.... sorry, dealership employees only for this website...

Jim Warman

Does your pc/ed state how to test this part? I find it strange parts stores don't carry this part. It appears to be new to 2001 3.8 engines. Since the dealer wants $65 for the part, I would hate to replace it if that's not the problem, since they won't let me return it.

Reply to
Wildatom