Bad experiences with Jiffy Lube or other car services places?

Place: Showcase Auto Plaza - Modesto CA Car: 98 Cobra Took my car in for a factory recall on the emergency brake handle. When I picked it up the leather wrap on the handle was scraped as though someone had run a rasp over the length of it. I brought it to the attention of the service manager and he ordered me a new one without any trouble at all. Then,,, he went to find the mechanic that had done the repair.

Place: Jiffy Lube McHenry Ave-Modesto CA

95 Mustang GT

Took her in for an oil change, when I got home I noticed puddling under my car. The oil drain plug tight enough and it had lost about 1/2 a quart of oil. I took it back to them the next morning and they treated me like a dumb female and denied any responsibility. They refused to resolve any problem whatsoever. I made sure that everytone that was waiting to have their car serviced that Saturday morning knew what they had done and I left the pimpley faced 'manager' with a big chunk chewed out of his backside. I also left a large trail of rubber in their driveway and never returned.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Hopefully the mechanic was questioned and the root cause determined. On the surface, it appears the mechanic needs a good ass chewing, or worse, but who knows except them.

Reply to
John

Look... it has ALWAYS been the case that, if you took your car to a place that does volume services, there's going to be problems.

I had a summer job at a garage 40 years ago and got fired for doing the formula "btw, your ____ needs replaced" check. I did - it did.. problem being the guy had been charged for it two months before.

Folks that have done their own work for years as I have know full well they make mistakes on their own cars..I do.

So why should you expect exemplary performance from a 9 to 5'er? Or the nephew of the owner who never saw under the hood of a car till he started working there?

Do it yourself or take it to a place you know and watch like a hawk.

Steph opined in news:cebo9a$mpd$ snipped-for-privacy@dns3.cae.ca:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I suspect it got scraped when it was installed on the sharp edge of the console. I'd bet my bottom dollar that he got hollered at. Shit happens, fortunately Showcase always took really good care of me.

Kate

| > Place: Jiffy Lube | > McHenry Ave-Modesto CA | > 95 Mustang GT | >

| > Took her in for an oil change, when I got home I noticed puddling under my | > car. The oil drain plug tight enough and it had lost about 1/2 a quart of | > oil. | > I took it back to them the next morning and they treated me like a dumb | > female and denied any responsibility. They refused to resolve any problem | > whatsoever. I made sure that everytone that was waiting to have their car | > serviced that Saturday morning knew what they had done and I left the | > pimpley faced 'manager' with a big chunk chewed out of his backside. | > I also left a large trail of rubber in their driveway and never returned. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

No excuse, he should have covered it. I bet he covered the next one he did. :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

i used to work in on of those " fast lube" places (not jiffylube) and it was a franchise. they used to want me to try to sell stuff they didnt really need. i wouldn't do it and i had alot of customers that would wait for me to do their car. but i do remember i was doing the undertech and this one car came in, (might be the same type as yours) and i reached up to drain it, and almost did the tranny. the engine had 2 pans that looked similar. when i noticed the filter was opposite the drain i realized it was the tranny. (we were really busy so i was going fast.) i didnt pull the plug, but i can see why on certain cars, that mistake can be made if your in a rush. 99% of the cars you can easily tell which is which, but that one car, you had to stop and look to tell the diffence. at least they were honest and let you know, and didnt try to blame you. just wanted to give you a possible explanation for what may have happened there. BTW, the place i used to work is back to corporate now, and im going back to see if i can get back in. at least as corporate, they were more honest than the yahoo's running it before. thats if they can get the reputation back. good luck

Reply to
bm

No no no... they DID replace it, did I type something wrong?

They replaced it without any trouble at all :) I was pretty happy with the whole thing! I mean, if something has to go wrong, they made it as right as possible as fast as possible!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I think he meant, the mechanic should have laid something on top of it to protect it from being scraped.

Reply to
John

ahhhhhh... another blonde moment. I hate it when that happens *wink*

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate
88GT mustang, over torqued transmission drain plug, cracked the casing said it was like that when I came in. I sued, I lost. I never went back.

95 Tracer, new tires from Firestone, didn't use the torque bar, over tightened the wheel locks so much the key was sheared next time they needed rotating. Had to use an air chisel to remove them, after that they didn't even offer to replace the broken lug nuts.

Reply to
Ironrod

Car: 96 Mustang GT, took it to local shop for oil change and coolant drain/fill. They drained the oil, then started the car before putting new oil in. I asked, "Did you already put the oil in it?" The guy didn't respond to me, but shouted to his coworker in the car, "shut it off." Glad I was watching.

He proceded to put 5 qt. of oil in, and shut the hood. I said, "It takes 6 qt.". He opened the hood and put another in.

Then they drained the coolant. About 1/2 went in the pan they were trying to catch it in; the other 1/2 went on the floor. When they were finished, the guy wheeled in a pressure washer and washed it out into the driveway.

Reply to
John

Except for tires, wheel alignments and exhaust, I do everything on my car. Don't trust anyone. Of course I have early mustangs besides my '87 GT.

Reply to
Mark

goes to show you why people change their own oil.. its not to save any money, its to make sure that it is done right.... what do you expect from companies that pay kids $5.00 an hour and hire new ones each week...

Reply to
dbird