Like your Jiffy Lube?

This was done just over a year ago.

The third failure for this chain store in 3 years, the most consistency I have seen from them on anything.

Do you think that they finally got it right this year?

The videos are just plain sad. In one part you can see and hear the guy telling his manager, "we got caught", when a part was not replaced but was charged for.

Nothing new, but well-done. If I didn't trust the mechanic that I need once in a while, I might consider a camera or two. At least you know that they won't find the cameras, it isn't like they look for anything else.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I stopped going to those places when they "torqued" the drain plug to 55 ft-lb. Yikes!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've found oil filters that can't be removed w/o destroying them, the old screw it on until the gasket touches, then give it 1/3 of a turn, then add three more turns for good measure and laugh at the poor guy who has to try to remove it trick!

Reply to
XS11E

I wonder how far they got before the oil pan cracked on a previous car...

Pat

Reply to
pws

I assume that was a non-aluminum oil pan? How much torque can you put on aluminum before the thread disappears?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Nope, it was my Miata.

At least 55 lb-ft, apparently, though I wasn't especially happy to find that out. Another question might be "how many times would the threads survive such abuse before disappearing?" I shall let someone else perform that research; my mechanic uses a torque wrench on the plug now, and I'd stop changing the oil before I'd allow another quick-lube joint to touch my car.

I only went that once because I was leaving on a long road trip and couldn't get an appointment at my trusted shop in time. My fault, for procrastinating.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I put a lever-release oil drain plug on my '96, along with an oil filter relocation kit to the firewall. Even if you (meaning any reader) don't do your own oil changes, a lever-release oil drain plug prevents the attendant from ruining your pan and the remote kit prevents the attendant from using a tool to put on your filter.

I thought some of these quickie rube establishments sold tool-less oil drain plugs for a reasonable price. Wouldn't that make sense?

Reply to
my_two_cent

The one I had was sticking way out below the oil pan so I never put it in. Too much crap on the road.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I used to have a Hyundai Elantra and Jiffy Lube stripped the aluminum oil pan, which costs $400 to replace. They said they didn't do it, and, since it took a few months for me to notice the leak, I couldn't prove that they did it. I ended up using a "jam-in" (self-tapping) plug rather than spend the $400.

pws wrote in news:468947f7$0$12251$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reply to
Mark Krebs

That would be the ultimate in automation, when you want to change oil just hit a bump and the old oil is gone, all you need do is to fill it back up. Seems like a great time saver to me....

Reply to
XS11E