*sigH* check engine light...

Check engine light came on... I disconnected battery for 20 min.. check engine light stays off for a day. Comes back on..... half a day later.. goes off. Few days later (today), it comes back on. I reset computer again by disconnecting battery for 20 min... check engine light off, but comes back on after an hour. I'm gonna have the code(s) read tomorrow... got a buddy who's the manager of an Autozone.. just venting. *sigH*. Last thing I did to the car was change the PCV valve.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Is this worth the price? It seems cheap, but I coulda sworn I've seen code readers at O'Reilly for like $60...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Is that teh same thing as the other ebay auction i posted?!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Hey Mike! Are you talking to yourself again?

Of course, without the codes there is no telling, but here are a couple of things to check At the firewall on the passenger side of the engine, look for a black 1/2" diameter vacuum hose with a red stripe running down it. It should have a gadget inline, smallish, maybe 2-1/2-3" long that't white. This setup SHOULD be attached at the firewall and the wheel well but may have broken loose. If it has, get some zip ties and anchor it back down again. If you need a pic, holler. Dave Sibbet posted the following sometime back:

------------------------------- For a while now I like others in this group have been battling a case of CEL. I had the code pulled and it was p1443 which is for the evaporative control purge valve failure. I replaced the gas cap with no sucess. So I went out and bought a Haynes manual which showed me what this purge control valve looked like. Armed with this info I located the valve and traced any and all hose-vacume lines that may have been associated with the system. I reseated-connected them all with no sucess. 4/30 time ran out and I had to have the GTS inspected (PA state yearly). and naturally it failed because of the code.In Pa the car has to run atleast 1 obt2 drive cycle with out throwing a code to pass.My mechanic checked the system out and found this. The purge control valve had been broken off its mount and was hanging by the intake and output rubber hose's there by kinking the input hose at the point where it exits the passenger side wheel well. he remounted it with a cable tie and ran the car thru 4 drive cycle's on the dyno with out a hitch. As soon as he let it hang again the light came on again. Problem solved . For those of you with the P1443 problem check the black rubber hose with a red stripe for kinks you might get as lucky as I did.

Dave

96 GTS with a few extras

------------------------------------ Also,, after you check that, then check your gas cap. If it has a vacuum leak it will cause the CEL to come on.

I anchored my valve down and have not had a CEL yet. BUT I have not really... I mean REALLY.. driven her much lately so I won't know till I take her for a run.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kate

| > 9&category=43989| >

| > Is this worth the price? It seems cheap, but I coulda sworn I've seen code | > readers at O'Reilly for like $60... | >

| > -Mike | >

| > -- | >

| > A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT | > Cold air intake | > FRPP 3.73 gears | > Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter | > Full Boar turbo mufflers | > Hi-speed fan switch | > 255/60R-15 rear tires | >

| > > -Mike | > >

| > > -- | > >

| > > A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT | > > Cold air intake | > > FRPP 3.73 gears | > > Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter | > > Full Boar turbo mufflers | > > Hi-speed fan switch | > > 255/60R-15 rear tires | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks, Kate. I'll look at that today. I'm also going to look into some code readers today.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Check engine light went off. Seems to only come on when I stay on the interstate (65-70mph) for prolonged periods of time.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

That's when mine did it too, or when I really got on it. I tried changing my gas cap, but it didn't help. So, I tried anchoring my hose down. I have not driven it yet very much to be able to tell if it will help or not.

Another thing I just thought of, check to be sure that your PCV valve is installed nice and tight and maybe even double check to see that you got the right one.

Your friend at Pep Boys should have something there to run the codes for you at no charge.

Kate

| > -Mike | >

| > -- | >

| > A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT | > Cold air intake | > FRPP 3.73 gears | > Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter | > Full Boar turbo mufflers | > Hi-speed fan switch | > 255/60R-15 rear tires | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate, The CEL has since returned with the same code p1443. I'm now thinking its the rubber tubing runing from the purge valve to the charcoal canister. It's dry rotted and cracked i'm sure. I ahve to find a lift so I can remove the inner fender to replace it ( I have replaced everything but that piece of tubing and the canister).

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

I double checked the PCV valve twice. I don't have a pep boys around here. When I get around to it, I'll ask Stan to check the codes. This code reader auction on ebay ends in 12 hours... hopefully I'll get it.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

O'Reilly and other car parts stores let you "rent" the good ODB-II code readers for $200 or so which if you use pay using a credit card, take it out to the parking lot and check/clear the codes, then take it back in for a full credit on the card.

If you don't take the reader back then you get to keep it, O'Reilly in my area rent out the AutoXray readers.

Reply to
The Wes'ter

Well Dave, that just sucks! The line I found, in the vicinity that you described, with a red stripe on it, has a little cannister of some sort in it. The lines seemed pretty supple and mine were not kinked at all, but... better safe than sorry.

One thing I DID notice, was that the little cannister in this line was at just the right height and location to cause a mysterious clunking sound I have been experiencing for some time now. I THINK it was being caused when it tapped on the strut tower brace.. ok ok.. HOPING! Again, I have not had the opportunity to drive it enough test my theory..

Kate

| > Another thing I just thought of, check to be sure that your PCV valve is | > installed nice and tight and maybe even double check to see that you got | the | > right one. | >

| > Your friend at Pep Boys should have something there to run the codes for | you | > at no charge. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

opined in news:3e0Oc.250$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

Well?

Autozone more or less started the reading codes thing. whatchur codes?

Look, the symptoms... high speed only ..point to a small vacuum leak, or egr problem.

I'll bet it references to dpfe. check egr passage carbon - OR the purge system.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I haven't gotten around to getting to Autozone.. been swamped with work. I won the auction for a code reader though, so I'm just gonna wait until it arrives.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset