Books worth owning

In a recent, somewhat flaming hot discussion (no, I won't go there), books that can teach us about our chiosen hobby was mentioned. If anyone can recommend some *good* books on the following subjects, please reply:

late 60's Mustang restoration (mainly interested in 1968 and 1969) Big, block FE engines

Thank you!

Reply to
John

Well, I hung back on this to see if anybody came forth. The lack of a reply pretty much explains the jams some people get into.

The primary book you need is a reproduced Ford Shop Manual. This comes in two flavors: the big one for each years that covers several different models, and the individuals for each model/year, divided into categories like body, chassis, electrical, etc.

The least expensive source I've found so far is from Ron at AuoKrafters, who has been around forever. He sells on Ebay under "akraft". Go to his seller's list and see the assembly manuals at 15.25 each. Full Shop Manuals generally run two to three times that depending on the year. These books will clue you in on how all that stuff goes back together, tuning, and repair.

Another must-have source for stuff is Jim Osborn reproductions,

I advise popping for the print catalog, which is much more comprehensive than the website. Reference books there, too, along with resto decals and factory spec lit and so on.

The one resto book targeted at Mustangs that seems worth a damn is Mustang Resoration Handbook, by Don Taylor and Tom Wilson, from HP Books, ISBN 0-89586-402-9. 460 photos and drawings. This is for '65-'70 Mustangs, but much will cross over to the Cougars and Torinos. Let me quote a back cover paragraph:

"Covers identification, year-by-equipment changes, disassembly and assembly. Describes how to rebuild brakes, suspension & steering, detail engine and engine compartment, repair rust and body damage, do body and paintwork, replace electrical wiring, gages and switches, restore body graphics, refurbish seats and interior trim, replace convertible and vinyl tops. Includes tips on how to buy a used Mustang."

Get catalogs from the major vendors, as you will discover parts you didn't even think about before.

Knowledge is power; forewarned is forearmed; don't be a frickin' autonerd.

Words to live by.

Reply to
CobraJet

Thanks CJ, I really do appreciate your first hand knowledge. (As I raise an ice cold Samuel Adams Octoberfest to the southwest and to wherever Trev. is from) Here's to a successful journey to the baddest '69 W code Mach 1 on the streets! It may take me a while. I've got lots to learn. But, I'll get there!

Reply to
John

For any kind of automotive related building, I highly recommend Carroll Smith's series of books; "Enginer to Win", Tune to Win", and "Nuts, Bolts, Fastners, and Plumbing Handbook". There's a fourth book

- can't recall the exact name (Build to Win?), but it's no longer in print. Anyway, these three books will provide you with a wealth of information about systems design, tools, fastners, etc. I've been building cars for decades, and I finally learned the "Why" behind some of the things I do. Learned a lot of new stuff, too. Worth every penny.

Reply to
boB

Thanks boB, may the horsepower gods smile upon your diverse fleet!

Reply to
John