Relating to the "Hot Distributor" discussion

Have been waiting for a reply from Bob, in the mean time I will post this up

for discussion.

Copy of email below

Hi Bob,

Hope this finds you well. We have conversed over some years now, the

last time on the "bend" in the shift rod.

While I agree with most of what you have said. I disagree with your opinion

on the purpose of the trough in the distributor neck. It is not for oil pick-up.

On installation the distributor will sit with part of the offset drive exposed in

the hole of the crankcase. Usually where the spacers sit between the bottom of

the neck and the offset drive. Oil is picked up at this point, and by the circular

motion of the shaft, is drawn up the shaft past the bottom bush. Excess oil then

runs out of the hole in the neck and down the groove back to the offset drive and

onto the top of the distributor pinion gear.

Some oil will enter the top bush, however the spiral groves in the top of the shaft

(in the top bush), keep oil from entering the top of the distributor. The position of

the hole in the neck will never be exposed to the hole in the crankcase because

it is too high on the neck. The groove can not be positioned in the hole in the crankcase

because the vacuum can fouls the crankcase.

The distributor therefore can be positioned in any orientation in the crankcase.

I have attached some pics as examples.

Old vw case - left hand side

Bosch distributor neck
Distributor installed and turned in case till vacuum can hits
Closer view of Distributor installed in correct position
Hoping to hear your thoughts?

regards

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

To All:

Find below a copy of my response, sent to Grahame on 19 July 2006 and again on the 25th.

As you can see from his email address, he expects the government of Queensland (Australia) to pay for his private communications. The fact both of my responses failed to arrive sez his boss may not agree :-)

-Bob Hoover

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- service copy sent 072506

Dear Grahame,

Thank you for the thoughtful message. You'll be happy to hear that many share your opinion with regard to installing the distributor at any orientation, although I am not among them.

I also appreciate the effort you've taken to provide the photos. However, in one of them you show the lower edge of the neck of the distributor extending well into the opening. I suspect the distributor you're using as your photographic model has had its clamping ring removed. Normally, the lower edge of the neck is about 3mm higher than shown.

With regard to the inlet vs outlet business, I don't think it really matters. The hole & groove is clearly there to facilitate lubrication of the steel bushings that were introduced with the aluminum-bodied distributors. The fact the location of the groove is different on distributors meant for the Type IV engines makes it pretty clear that it's meant to align with the 'window' in the respective crankcase castings.

The basic fact is that when a distributor is installed so that the oiling channel does NOT have access to the window it results in accelerated wear of the distributor shaft & bushings as well as premature failure of the capacitor or of after-market electronic components (ie, Pertronix, etc.). Such 'mysterious' maladies have a habit of landing on my door-step. Oddly enough, when I point out the most probable cause a surprising number of owners insist that can't be right. Just as you have :-) In which case I simply smile and wish them good luck.

-Bob Hoover

Original received last Wed. and responded to within 24 hrs.

-rsh

Reply to
veeduber

Good pictures and opinion. I don't know all for sure because I've never had a "hot distributor problem" and I'm satisfied that I never will after all these years. I mean my distributor has never been hotter than the case it is attached to or the oil within.

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Thanks Bob for your reply, as to your remark about the email address, yes, I am allowed that privilege. I will investigate why I did not receive your reply emails. Yes, the clamping ring is not there, but I thought the discussion was about the orientation of the groove. I will rectify the pics. However, are you suggesting I have a Type IV distributor? Because there is no way the distributor (groove) in the pics will line up with the window. I also believe (which you also preach) if you don't ask questions, then you will remain ill informed, I value your wisdom, that's why I wrote to you!

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

I think it does matter. The arrangement of the various components and features all seem to have specific reasons. Thye vacuum can on a Type 1 is normally fitted in the 7 o'clock position for practical reasons and the oil hole/groove seem to be always on the left (or down side) of the distributor shaft. The positioning of the firing points on the distributor could be argued as 'convenient to ignition cable routing'. Placing the drive shaft correctly and installing the distributor with the rotor at #1 means that all these specifics are met (as well as avoiding the mis-timing that would be caused by assymetric cam distributors).

Specifically what makes this clear? Again, I see the position of the Type 4 vacuum can (in the 3 o'clock position) as for practical purposes, so where is the oil hole in relation to the window on a Type 4?

Reply to
Peter

"Grahame Rumballe" wrote in message news:KVcCg.62$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optus.net.au...

Have cleaned up the pics and put them here

sorry about my thumb!!

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe