an '03 'Vette beat me!

So this morning me and a 2003 Corvette come up to the stoplight on a three-lane onramp to a local highway. Both myself and the other driver
knew that our cars represented the finest in vintage and current automotive technology, and the significance of both classic cars ready to take off on a near empty freeway at the same time was simply too much to resist, and a psychic message just seemed to pass between us...
"Well...are you gonna GO for it?"
"Yeah," we decided, we will.
Sooooo...the light turns green and we’re off, my stereo blazing away with the Beach Boys singing HELP ME RHONDA (Brian Wilson lead version) as I stomp it to the metal!
I swear I was actually leading for an instant or two, but then the Corvette kicks into gear and it gets serious.
I’ve got my foot halfway through the floor board (about all you can do with a ‘68 302 4v Cougar w/AT), and I’m laying scratch with every upshift of the tranny, but the ‘Vette comes on strong and starts to move out.
My thirsty cat's slurping gas from the Holley like a dehydrated camel as we fly down the highway for about a mile, and then the 'Vette and I break it off, not wanting to risk further enticing any wandering CHP with nothing better to do than go to town on us.
He wins the race by about 7 car lengths.
A defeat? Yes--but not an embarrassing one.
It was, after all, a 2003 Corvette :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
vince garcia wrote:

I so *loved* my well-abused '68 XR-7 back in the day...
But modern engines and trannys... are so much much more refined.
A wistful memory on a hot Labor Day weekend...
Dana P.S. My fun ride today is another Ford-family relative, though it's cut from a different cloth entirely, from Hiroshima.
Add pictures here
βœ–

How stock is your car? He shoulda kicked your ass much worse, unless he was concerned over spilling his Starbucks concoction on his leather. I wouldn't call a 2003 anything a classic for at least another 23 years or so.
--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
CobraJet wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think he was going all out, but he was still reasonably aggressive on the pedal, and my car still moves better than 90+% of the rice burners I see out there, so it was a brief, fun jaunt down the EMPTY highway. (Wouldn't think of doing something like this if I hadn't seen that our lanes were empty ahead of us.) I assume he had the AT rather than the 6 speed.
Now if I'd had a beefed-up 351, not to mention a Cobra Jet--he'd have really had to work for it!

Yeah, but shucks, I consider just about any 'Vette a classic. That's one of the few lines that has consistently striven for excellence throughout the decades (with some exceptions, of course, due mostly to govt. smog and mileage regs). And the '03 is pretty hot. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

You have to expect someone to come along that does not condone performance driving on a public highway. That happens *every* time a street race post goes up.

I have no idea what that Vette is supposed to run stock, but a Cobra Jet in a Cougar with traction would probably stay ahead.

To be honest, I wouldn't know an '03 if it ran me over and swiped my high octane frappe mocha latte cappuchino with a Meyer's rum floater. Gimme a '65-'67 BB Vette any day.
--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1

The regular plain ol' '03 Vette off the floor averages about a low 13 at 108-112 mph. Motor Trend got a 13.0 at 109 mph.
The ZO6 generally mid/high 12's at 114. GM High-Tech performance magazine got a 11.97 @ 118.80
The new C6s will be even nastier. The regular version is supposed to run just a bit slower than today's C5 ZO6. So that means the C6 ZO6 is gonna be a real monster.
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, like stopping two fools from killing some innocent people. Grow up.
John 66 2+2
Add pictures here
βœ–

You seem to have grown up, and old enough, for all of us.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks Mark, I was looking at this thinking "I wonder just how many in this group have NEVER done something like this.
Glass houses and all that. Kate
| >>Date: 9/5/04 7:37 PM | > | > | >>we fly down the highway for about a mile, and then the 'Vette and I | >>break it off, not wanting to risk further enticing any wandering CHP | >>with nothing better to do than go to town on us. | > | > | > Yeah, like stopping two fools from killing some innocent people. Grow up. | You seem to have grown up, and old enough, for all of us. | |
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some people want to jump to the conclusion that all street racing encounters are dangerous to bystanders. It all depends upon the location and the time of day.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I agree completely.
| > Thanks Mark, | > I was looking at this thinking "I wonder just how many in this group have | > NEVER done something like this. | > | > Glass houses and all that. | Some people want to jump to the conclusion that all | street racing encounters are dangerous to bystanders. | It all depends upon the location and the time of day. | |
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 05 Sep 2004 22:13:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (John Del) wrote:

I've seen people like you. They buy new Carerras, and go down to the local wealthy shop areas in Toronto and just park. They may as well be driving taxicabs. Why bother wasting a Mustang on yourself? -Rich
Add pictures here
βœ–

Interesting Rich; you're able do conclude that from my post? I don't now, never had, nor will I ever own a Carrera. As for not thrashing my Mustang now and then, you are wrong as well.
But take a look at the original post. He was racing for about a mile. I don't know what your car will do, but my car will do about 140 at the end of a mile.
John 66 2+2
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Del wrote:

I didn't know precise measurements were necessary to tell the story. But for your benefit, it was over 1/2 mile but less than a full mile. Also, my '68 can't come anywhere close to 140 MPH no matter how much space you give it.
By the way, if you don't illegally operate your own vehicle at racing speeds yourself, how do you know it can do 140 in a mile's distance?
Apparently you want to risk killing innocent people by driving at speeds like that. Grow up. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Two fools were killed in Los Angeles, last night, while street racing. Their car was ripped in half. Police estimate they were doing at least 100mph.
They don't get to grow up.
Bob '03 Cobra coupe
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob wrote:

Thank goodness they weren't doing 140....
Add pictures here
βœ–
vince garcia wrote:

for the record, though, let me agree that street racing is often a bad thing. Personally, I don't have a problem with car clubs finding an empty strip of pavement in the boonies to have fun with, where the chance of harming anyone other than the drivers themselves is nil, whatever the cops may think of that. A street race on a normal city street with the potential of hitting other cars or houses I agree is a no-no. Was that the case with these guys, or were they in an isolated area where no one else was placed at risk?
My bro-in-law's place, as an example, has a great wide road nearby running along orchards for about a half mile. It's a perfect place for "safe" street racing and power plant testing, and that's what it gets used for by car nuts in the neighborhood.
Add pictures here
βœ–
My two cents...
In the re-made (most kids don't know that) and God why -did- they re-make it movie Fast & Furious, Vin Diesel says "any racer... any real racer knows, it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile..." something like that. I remember it because I was so intrigued by what "any -real- racer" knows. I used to race myself.
What any real racer knows is that you only race on a track.
Known places where you can test engines and friends can race each others' cars do certainly exist. And the burnout marks prove that people know where these are.
However there is still an inherent risk, if to no one else but the drivers themselves.
People who actually live on these roads hate it, so you might get busted. And on any public street, there still is a probability of someone else being there. Even if the first two are not true, and it's a wide-open stretch you can see for a mile either way, it's still not that great. You're going to ask "what difference does it make if they're on a track?" Well, availability of EMS crews, fire trucks, etc. And even concrete or tire barriers are better for high-speed impact than trees or ditches. Plus, people killing themselves raises insurance rates.
vince garcia wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Jason O'Brien wrote:

But what, kids and adults who think they are kids are invincable, and often someone close to them has to die before they learn (maybe). "Oh, my car is bulletproof and my abilities infalliable, and furthermore, I understand every risk there is 100%." So those of us who err on the side of caution are just pissing in the wind anyway. I know it is, and forever will be the case.
I am not saying you can never find a situation where you mitigate the risks to a very low level. And I am not saying there are people who can't do this 1000 times and never get hurt, or have some catastrophic mechanical failure.
All I am saying is that defending street racing is defending something that by definition introduces risk of injury and death to the general innocent public going about their business. Over the past 10 years, many, many more cars have crowded our streets, and many, many new little racer wannabe punks who put N20 and blowers in their Civics or Mustangs or whatever have been spawned out of romanticizing this activity.
It's not a question of bravado or wimpiness; it's not a question of being exempt from this because you took every precaution. It's simply a question of mathematical probability, and encouraging an on-average needlessly dangerous activity. Getting on it once in a while, enjoying the power of your car for a few seconds here and there, and running through the gears on a nice, wide on-ramp, for example, is enough for the street. Wringing the piss out of your car for 1/4 mile or a mile over and over on the street is irresponsible and stupid. Sometime, somewhere, you're going to screw up, err in judgment, or just have bad luck, even if no one gets hurt. It doesn't affect just you, ever.
Go to a track.

Add pictures here
βœ–

If the stupid fuck want to race on an empty road, let him. With any luck--and it'll happen, eventually--he'll end up a bloody, mangled corpse in a slag heap of twisted metal and raise the IQ of the human race in the process. I don't mind kicking in a few bucks more on insurance when these morons waste themselves, especially when the overall benefits to the rest of us are so huge. Go, speed racer, go!
Add pictures here
βœ–