The big three ask for higher tariiffs on imported SUV and mini vans.

They're not necessarily _our_ leaders. They just happened to get elected. The current administration touts whatever helps out their friends and self-interests the best. So, they carefully examine tariffs, check with their friends, and make a decision. It has little to do with what the people here want.

Definitely. US Automakers don't have a clue. Never have, never will, never want to change. If someone gets on a Board of Directors who advocates change, they push him back off.

I'm not sure how that applies. However, in the instances where the US does actually advocate a "no tariff" situation, the trading partner quite often continues to maintain a tariff. That's not right. (Keeping in mind that "no tariff" is usually reserved for situations when a powerful administration ally wants to import foreign items at low cost to increase profit and CEO salaries, at the expense of the workforce and smaller vendors who use local materials).

Reply to
still me

still me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I believe that Japan's tariff is for completed cars,not assemblies. I suspect that Honda and Toyota could and would continue in the US if a tariff was enacted for imported parts assemblies.I don't know about Nissan,Mazda and BMW. It would affect "domestic" auto companies much more,as they move a lot of parts AND complete cars between Mexico,Canada,and the US. If you want to aid US workers,get the domestic automakers to build their products in the US,not in Mexico and Canada. At least Honda and the other imports build most of their US(and some export)cars here in the US,employing US workers. While our own auto industry builds their US vehicles in other countries.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I thought the US, Mexico, and Canada were all one country now. Did I misunderstand the politicians?

Reply to
still me