94 Nissan Altima Reving too high

Help, I got in the car and the rpm's shot up to 5 with my foot on the break, what is causing this problem and how can it be repaired??

Reply to
applegate

Does the engine stay at 5K or does is come back down? Does it also happen when you turn the headlights lights on?

Reply to
Remco

Just to clarify: Is it truly revving that high? 5000 is something your engine does not normally see very much -- if it does rev that high for no reason, you could do damage to the engine. Don't slam it in gear at that speed, as that will also do damage to your transmission. To make sure, the engine speed (thus noise) increases, right? If it does not, you may have some sort of problem with your tachometer.

I don't have my nissan book handy, but most cars contain a load sensor, sensing electrical load changes. When a load changes, the engine speed picks up slightly under nrmal conditions. If that sensor is bad, your engine will do what you describe. Tail brake lights cause more current to be required - that's why I asked if it also happens when you turn the headlights on.

Remco

Reply to
Remco