Re: 406 1,8, Coolant renewal

I would stick with the blue/green coolant. Unless it already had red in already. Apparently they are not to be mixed. The bleed screws are as follows:

1.Back of the cylinder head above the thermostat elbow, a approx. 3inch long round tube with a cap screw on the end.

2.On the firewall next to the brake booster is a plastic elbow with a pipe comong out the bottom. On top is a cap that looks like tyre valve.

Ryan

Reply to
RyanO

One tip is when you drain the coolant is to collect it and measure how much you have drained out. This can turn out to be important as the reason for this "bottle header tank" is that the radiator cap is below the level of the heater hoses. You may get an airlock and think you have filled up. This can create problems with head gaskets - especially diesel engines.

One other method is to jack up the front of the car or use ramps to bring the level of the rad cap above the heater hose level.

I now do this job as infrequently as possible by buying either Mobil or Halfords 5 year life anti-freeze. The additional money is well worth it provided that your rad system is in good order.

Reply to
sid