406 V6 coolant

Hi, just bought a 1998 4dr v6, driven it for 250miles and now the coolant level light comes on from cold,flickers, then goes out after 1-2 mins. Naturally I'd like to visually check the coolant level but can't seem to see the expansion tank (seems to be tucked deep into the engine compartment so I can't see it? - or am I looking in the wrong place?!). Any advice on how to visually check the coolant level on a V6? I didn't get a manual with the car. Hoping it's just a dodgy light! Coolant temp seems to be fine by the way. Thanks for anyones help, Matt

Reply to
cmr

Isn't it just in front of the O/S strut mounting adjacent to the power steering reservoir?

Reply to
Nigel

The coolant reservoir is on the o/s between the power steering fluid reservoir and the screen washer fluid reservoir. I noticed with mine that it only needs to be slightly low to make the warning light flicker, especially under acceleration. It is as far as I can work out duee to the sensor being built into the reservoir cap. I think I'm right in saying that the radiators are prone to leaks, I certainly know mine has been, but it's a real simple job to replace them. I did mine myself and it took me less than 1/2 hour, also not as expensive to replace as you might have thought, cost me about £85 for a new one.

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Thanks for everyones help - could just see the water as I shook the car, so filled it up to what I guessed was the cold level (I don't have the car manual) which was about 4inches down from the cap? Anyway, the warning light went out so I guess it's OK. Will keep a eye on it though.

Reply to
cmr