1999 pontiac transport

I'm buying a 1999 Pontiac transport and was wondering if anyone can tell me the bad things to look out for. I had a ford windstar so I'm hoping it can't be that bad.

Reply to
Wendy Breese

All Trans Sports from '96 on use the 3.4 engine, which has had THOUSANDS of problem lower manifold gaskets. At one point, these gaskets were on national back-order, so even if you knew about the problem, you couldn't get it fixed.

The problem is that you usually don't know it's happening until the crankcase is full of water OR the water-saturated oil has not lubricated the engine. Either way, usually the engine is GONE.

I have 2 '96 Trans Sports and BOTH had to have this problem attended to at a cost of over $400 each.

THEN the problem is that you NEVER know when it's gonna happen again. AND this gasket problem has NEVER been fixed by GM. It is even in the 2004 models! Of course, GM denies there is a problem.

I would NEVER buy another GM car with this engine. Good luck.

John Wipff snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
FIERO NUT

"Wendy Breese" wrote

Find out if the lower intake manifold gasket has been replace. If not, I would do so...pronto. Change your oil religiously....(every 3000 miles at least) and you will keep that motor running a lot longer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Would you know if the 3.1 engine (on my '94) was affected by this problem? I seem to be refilling the coolant reservoir a lot lately.

Reply to
bsfdl

3.1 also has intake gasket probs, yes. Better find out where that coolant is going before it's too late! GW
Reply to
Geoff Welsh