Exhaust Work

I've got a '79 Trans Am with true dual exhausts (no cats). I just bought the car in May and recently got a notice to bring the car in for emissions testing which it failed horribly in HC emissions (~2000 PPM when only 600 is allowed).

So I decide to get some cat converters installed. Before ordering the cats I start calling around to muffler shops in the area to see what it will cost to get the cats installed. No shop in the are will touch the car because of the non-stock exhaust setup. They say that working on a car with a non-stock setup can carry a fine of $10,000.

My question is, how does anyone get custom exhaust work done on a car if this is true? How did the previous owner get some shop to tear off the stock setup and put on a setup with no cats at all?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

He could have done it himself. And he may not have needed the cats if it was a collectors car or used for off road purposes (like racing, hunting vehicle, etc...). It's true too, it's a federal law. You could probably find someone that'll do it as an individual, not a shop.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Reply to
Slicknick

Did the 79 come with cats from the factory? If not then you don't legally have to retro-fit them. Might want to ask on the message boards at

or try the alt.autos.camaro.firebird newsgroup. If it did originally have them you are only about a year away from being able to tag it as an antique, (25 years). I don't know about Illinois but in Kansas it's like a get out of jail free card as far as getting away with modding the crap out of a car. Then again, we don't have emissions inspections here either. LOL

Good Luck!

Reply to
FBR

Made a mistake on the URL. It's

FBR

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

But was a 79 TA equipted with them?

Reply to
FBR

I think so. I think the reason no body wants to touch this car is because of all the legalities and paper work that is involved for the epa. Do a search in google for catalytic converter replacement law etc and see what comes up. As someone mentioned in another post I think after 25 years old cats arent required anymore. (dont quote me on that) Heck just a few more months to go if thats the case. Then you can run a catalytic converter or not.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Of course. 1979 is after 1975, right. ;-)

GW

FBR wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I think what he was asking is did EVERY vehicle that Pont made from 1975 on come equipped with cats . You remember for years some models were fuel injected and some not Maybe there were certain models built for high performance in 1979 that you could buy with out cats

Also see if the exhaust shops that you talked to have their own brand of mufflers they use to replace worn out or rusted original parts if so ....isn't this different from stock design thus making it illegal if it passes the emmissions test then what difference does it make what size of pipe was used to run the exhaust

What would be the cause for the fine How can exhaust shops stay in business if all they can do is go to a dealer and purchase original parts to repair your exhaust. I would have to say that a cat converter made to fit in your 79 T/A today is probably 98% more effecient than a stock 79 cat converter that has been laying on some dealers shelf since early 1980

Reply to
jones.family

It was required by law by that time. I think trucks were still not required then.

Mufflers and pipes are not emission control devices therefore can be replaced.

The word catalyst means it modifies and increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process. So if it goes bad there is something wrong with the engine itself and it must be corrected. Thats why there is paperwork involved. The EPA wants to make sure you arent just tossing cats on there while the engine is still not running clean.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Not in the U.S.. Once catalytic convertors came into use by a manufacturer they were required by law on all cars. Trucks....... that's a different story.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

There was no law that -required- catalytic convertors any more than there is/was a law that required using an EGR valve or any other component. Catalytic convertors in most cases amounted to the path of least resistance towards achieving the required emissions reductions set by the EPA.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Never looked at it that way, but you are right. In any event any 1979 Pontiac, most certainly had catcons in order to meet Federal EPA standards ("laws") and it's against the rules to cut 'em off.

If the OP is still reading, my suggestion is to buy a complete exhaust system with hi flow cats from jegs.com or summit. GW

Neil Nels> >

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Geoff Welsh

Agree 100% on both counts.

It will probably run better since all components will be working in concert.

Reply to
Neil Nelson