oil change light

The 2000 Grand Am SE (2.4L dohc 4) my son recently acquired has lit up its "change oil" warning light. However, it didn't do that until a week or two

*after* he'd had an oil change! Anyone know how to shut off that silly warning? (since my son is perfectly capable of knowing when it's time to get an oil change without some idiotic piece of widgetry second guessing him...)
Reply to
Ron Seiden

The "Change Oil" light has to be reset each time you change the oil. Try looking in your owners manual.

Reply to
80 Knight

On the left end of the instrument panel is a cover, under that cover is a fuse panel, on that fuse panel is a red re-set button. Ignition on engine not running, press and hold the re-set button until the oil change light begins flashing, when it does, you can release the button.

It's actually a very sophisticated algorithm programmed into the PCM, naturally, it is dependent on using motor oil that meets the GM specifications for that particular year, engine and model. (which one would be wise to follow) Changing the engine oil too often can result in poisoning of the catalytic convertor.

*Not understanding the technology doesn't make it silly or idiotic.

I have customers who do mainly urban type driving, their oil monitor will trigger in as little as 2200 miles, I have customers who do mainly highway driving, at 7500 miles their oil monitor has not triggered. One customer who does mainly highway driving put over 300,000 miles on a 2003 Pontiac Montana, the ONLY engine repair in those miles was replacement of lower intake manifold gaskets due to coolant leakage (common failure), original spark plugs, wires, coils, catalytic convertor. His oil change interval was between

7000-8000 miles.

Your son should save his oil change money for when he needs to replace the power window regulators, and -maybe-just-incase- he needs a water pump and timing chain ($1000).

Reply to
aarcuda69062