wiring question

How can I install stock gauges and tach into a 79 firebird which came with idiot lights? The car is completely stock (and nearly perfect), but I would like to add the gauge and tach option. Is there a simple way to do this? Thanks, David

Reply to
D&LBusch

Originally, the I.P. wiring harnesses were different for idiot lights vs. a set of gauges. The 1979 Wiring harness is a one-year only harness, because it's the first year with column-mounted dimmer switch, and the last year with cylindrical fuses. Also, note that while your connector to your gagues will fit rally gauges, nothing will work. The wires are not in the same places in that connector.

So, if you can find a 1979 T/A, and buy the dash wiring harness, you can swap that in. It's very straightfoward, but it's not really easy. The other choice would be to cut off all the gauge plugs on a 79 T/A, get your self a wiring diagram, and make all the splices. That's easy, but not straightforward. You have to know what you're doing to do it. Those are the only two options.

Don't worry about the tach. That was wired using an auxiliary harness, and does not connect to the wiring harness. All it take is 2 wires that you can make yourself.

Reply to
Joe

what about the engine sensors? David

Reply to
D&LBusch

The sensors on your car are just on/off, obviously. The won't work a gauge. But the wiring itself doesn't change. You just leave the wiring under the hood alone.

Reply to
Joe

Hi David,

I'm in the process right now of restoring a 79 Formula (I'm the original owner) back to it's original state. Currently, I'm in the process of doing electrical. I broke down the original harness to bare essentials and began replacing some wires and installing a few modifications. If you ever want to get intimant with a wiring harness from any automobile, just slowly unravel the tape holding it together to get a real feeling of sheer panic. As the days wore own to putting things back into perspective I have found there are three connectors you need for gauges (oil/temp/fuel) and one wire for the back of the IP tab console for tach coming from the distributor. If you're interested, I can walk you through this process. Joe is right, you're in for some work ahead of you. I'll check back in a few days for a reply.

Reply to
smith98387

You would need to replace the sensors with ones that are for the gauges.

Reply to
Ted