gauge senders 79 firebird?

Are the senders used for the idiot lights on a 79 fireburd the same as used for the gauges - temp, volt meter, and oil pressure. I'm hooking up a set of gauges where there once were idiot lights and want to know what else I may need to change. Thanks, David

Reply to
D&LBusch

There's no sending unit for a voltmeter, it's a real meter.

The sending units for the oil press. and temp gages are different than with idiot lights. All the proper sending units are usually available from AC Delco or Napa.

IIRC, you may need to switch a few wire positions in that dash cluster wiring harness connector. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW

I'm gonna have to hook up some real Auto Meter gauges on my next car, as most cars now don't come with anything but a temp gauge.

Not looking forward to # 6. : - (

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,834 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

It's pretty funny but, my 2002 Blazer and 1970 GTO have all the same gages, and the same steering components, and a whole lot of other similarities........probably why I like them both. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Reply to
D&LBusch

I added gages to my plain jane 70 GTO. I also added a better rear end, and a Delco AM/FM stereo. The guy before me added a 4 speed where the 3 speed used to be. My opinion has always been that as long as you are adding things that a car could have had that are original for the time period, and as long as you never lie about the fact that you did it (as opposed to it being there already) then do whatever you want. Of course if I had one of those 1969 Ram Air Trans Am convertibles, I wouldn't touch anything....but there were only a few of those made. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I really thought of going radical and installing T Tops. But why cut a perfectly good car? The final answer will probably be time and budget. It is nice being the only owner of the car. I thought about selling it a while back and going for an earlier TA or Convertible. But then what? I am no longer the original owner and that in itself is unique. David

Reply to
D&LBusch

Somebody just asked this question in the group 2 weeks ago. Was it you? Anyway, it's important to understand that your car doesn't have the wiring to handle the gages. In particular, you don't have the wiring for the volt and gas gages, because there's just nothing there on your car, which is obvious. Your main instrument cluster plug will physically fit the Trans Am cluster, but it won't actually make things work. The wires will be in the wrong places. They only made two versions of the harness, one with gages, and one without. All the other options were added on.

The 1979 wiring harness is technically a one-year only harness. The 1980 fuse block is vastly different, as they phased out the buss fuses, added electronic spark control on many cars, and changed a bunch of options around. The 1978 is the same as a 79 except for the dimmer switch. It's much better to make a 78 work if you can't find a 79.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
D&LBusch