1999 9-5 Heater stepper motor fix

Has anyone pulled the dash and heater fan assemblies out to repair/replace the plastic dampers on the air circulator stepper motors?

These are the pieces which blend the hot air and cool outside air to maintain the cabin temperature. Our driver side is locked onto 100% cold air, plenty of warm air in the rest of the car, but, driving with cold feet isn't a plus in winter. And no! it's not just in time for summer. :)

Looking for a web site which might have a stepwise procedure for this. The dealer is quoting me $1700 to replace 2 pieces of plastic to get my heat working again which isn't an option.

Thanks

Reply to
pc

I'm looking at purchasing an used 9-5...this could be a deal breaker though. I understand it only affects 1999 and older Saabs or...?

Reply to
Saab Guy

Reply to
saabtech

My 900 S 1997 is showing the same type of symptom, but still works so far, but the flap positioning motors either dyinf themselves, or the flaps are binding, causing the plastic teeth to skip; either way it makes a disconcerting noise at present, and SAAB confirm Tom's (see other post on this thread) tales of woe over how big a job it is. I'll still be interested to see a set of instructions on the job though.

Reply to
Bill Rule

Tom from Saabtech shared the following with me regarding the fix of this problem ( hope you don't mind my passing it on, Tom, I appreciate the pointers):

The only special tools you will need is a set of torx screwdrivers and a large torx to undo the seats, 50 I think, Preferably a 1/4 drive socket set and a lot of patience. You must degas the air-con, and take a lot of care not to damage the yellow plastic ring under the steering wheel. When refitting the ring, put in place and turn it clockwise until resistance is felt and then turn anti clock two turns. There is a repair kit for the flaps, don`t let them sell you a complete assy. Make sure you know which lead goes to which stepper motor before reconection. you will need to find or make a tool to remove the radio eg 4 bits of coat hanger wire. You may need to have the srs light switched off after you have finished [tech 2], HTH tom.

Reply to
pc

Does "degas aircon" mean pump out refrigerant gas with dedicated compressor outfit, or disconnect, and have regassed later? Such action is actually illegal in Australia.

Reply to
Bill Rule