Can anyone explain to a GIRL how to fix an elec prob in 89 900?

My SAAB 900 Aero 98 has an electrical problem that I've heard is quite common. I have had to take the fuse out to prvent the brake lights from remaining on, even when the car is not running and the key is back to the first position). I heard something really technical about wiring inside the speaker next to the drivers leg (right hand drive). Can anyone explain how I fix it?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

GKAM

Reply to
gkam

My family just got our first Saab yesterday, so I can't help with which connector to look at or anything like that.....but what do you know about the flow of electricity, especially opens and shorts? If you're not certain about what those two terms mean, check out this site:

---and I apologize in advance if this is too basic for you---

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

"gkam" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Hey GKAM, is your 900 a 1989 or a 1998? Your subject line says something different than your message. Was there still a 900 in 1998 anyway?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

89 or 98 out curiosity. The title says 89 although I'm not aware of such a model in 89.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

in article snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, gkam at snipped-for-privacy@bigblue.net.au wrote on 08/01/2007 05:44:

'89 Aero? Brake lights stay on all the time?

In the LHS footwell, there is a switch that must be kept closed. The switch is opened by the footbrake and the lights illuminate. Common fault - quick and easy fix ...

You need a new switch - one of these:

Locate it on the bracket in the footwell, remove the old one and pop in the new one.

If you take it to a mechanic, don't let them charge you much more than about

15 USD for the part and fitting takes about 15 minutes; even for someone who has not done it before.

HTH,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Mine's an '87 Aero, ( or T16S) 20 yrs since original registration this month actually! Aero's have been round longer than '89.

Al

Reply to
Al

in article 2bAoh.19901$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 08/01/2007 23:09:

Although the term is more readily applied to post-facelift cars (from 1987), Aero was designated to the C900 since 1985 around various parts of the world. Remember "Saab Turbo 16 Aero har landat"?

Cars of the Aero specification (Aero bodykit/175 BHP) were generally called Aeros even if their market designated then another name, like T16S or SPG. There were even 8V Aeros! Remember the SPG did not achieve 175 BHP until

1990, so it wasn't technically an Aero (or "SPG", for that matter) :)

IIRC, Opel (part of GM) owned the Aero trademark (or whatever) in certain parts of the world; the UK being one of them.

In the UK, the term "Aero" was first applied to the owner documentation around 1990 (after GM took over the larger share of SAAB stock) and applied to all cars with Aero bodykits; light pressure turbo (145 BHP), catalysed full pressure turbo cars (160 BHP) or non-cat full pressure turbo (175 BHP).

The 8V continued production for Europe and Scandinavia (and perhaps Aus/NZ) through to 1989 (having ceased around 1986 in the US/CA?); the later models having the Aero bodykit applied from the factory and manifesting themselves as certain "Special Editions" in the late stages of production:

There were also normally aspirated "Aeros" in the UK and Aus :o

... and a "GT Aero" model in France:

The UK's T16S (rated to 175 BHP) with Aero bodykit was certainly regarded as "the Aero" (and available from 1987 in the post-facelift model). This car was most akin to the Swedish "Aero" in style and performance.

Now that's a can of worms :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

But how do I know if you're really a girl? I don't want to waste my time helping a bloke, do I?

Reply to
johannes

Why not? I'm a bloke and you've helped me in the past...

Reply to
Al

Here's how I explain it to a girl: Take it to a garage.

Reply to
SkiFastBadly