How to fix nail hole in the tire?

Tire pressure indicator in my IS350 went up. And after looking at the tire I found the nail's head sticking from it. How do I fix the problem? If I just pull the nail out (with screwdriver and pliers) air will probably start going out. I guess I should buy some tightener and pump it into the tire.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Reply to
Visa Inquirer

This has got to be a troll, but just in case you are serious, my advice is to take the tire to just about any garage and have the nail pulled and a plug put in the tire. Unless the nail has damaged the sidewall, this will work just fine.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Patching the tire from inside is much better than a plug.

Reply to
Ray

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Reply to
newman

Yes, it is better, but that requires unmounting/remounting the tire and you will most likely have to get the tire rebalanced as well. The benefit is outweighed by the extra cost.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I recently had a tire patched at Big O tires. It is usually $5 for all the above. Since I was new to the area they did it at no charge. There is another chain of tire stores that will patch for free. Shop around.

Reply to
Ray

No tyre shop, this side of the pond, would 'plug' a tyre without taking it off the wheel and 'plugging' it from the inside.

Reply to
old man

Plenty would.

And they'd be right.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

At least not a plug only for "on-the-wheel" repair according to Michelin:

"An on-the-wheel plug-only repair is not reliable and is dangerous because the inside of a tire must be inspected after a puncture."

johngdole

I purchased tire repair kit. And put the plug inside the hole. It goes all the way through the tire and is glued in it with the rubber cement. It looks pretty reliable and it's very tight.

Problem solved.

Reply to
Visa Inquirer

Reply to