Burning Oil?

I've heard many comments about Saturn's burning oil, the GM specs say it will burn so much also.. Which engines is this with?

Do you think it would be the same for the 2.2L Ecotech in the Ion? I suppose I could ask someone with a Cavalier or a Sunfire..

Reply to
Jonathan Calfat

The oil burning issue is with the (no longer available) S-Series cars. If you want an Ion, it should not be an issue.

Reply to
Ratbert

To all, The reason for the oil burning is due to the oil rings being softer allowing for greater horsepower and torque. The pistons are also made of poorer quality in the S-Series engines. Do not be alarmed-poorer quality does not mean that your engine will die tomorrow. This just means that you will need to check the oil every one-two weeks or 500-1000 miles and add as necessary. A saturn engine with a little bit of added oil each week should last 200,000 miles without issues. When you want to rebuild it, just buy a new ion. The Ecotec (spelled correctly) has been tested to up to 500hp (not ground/dyno) without major issues or you can rebuild your engine with strong performance parts easily availible thru your dealer or a website DO NOT USE normal saturn parts to rebuild your DOHC or SOHC engine or you will end up with the same issue between 30,000 to 50,000 miles for a cost of $2,000. Enjoy. Matt

Reply to
Matt hotmail

ground/dyno)

performance

Odd ... this happened neither with my 1994 SL nor my (current, 68,000 mi) 1999 SL. Is this one of those "happens every so often but not always" problems, like the bad head gasket problem (which I did have at about 64,000 mi)?

Reply to
Steve